• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Prothane bump stops don't fit

travisk

NAXJA Forum User
I bought some of these Prothane rear bump stops for my XJ because the old factory ones were rolling over. The bump is too wide for the factory holes by about 1/2". Any ideas?

normal_image~172.jpg

The Prothanes are universal and only come slotted with a 5.25" minimum width eye-to-eye. I guess the stock XJ ones are a little smaller.

I got it to work. Used a drill and some cutting oil to elongate the slots in the bumps and then trimmed a little bit of the material for the bolt head.

normal_image~174.jpg

The Prothanes are universal and only come slotted with a 5.25" minimum width eye-to-eye. I guess the stock XJ ones are a little smaller.
I got it to work. Used a drill and some cutting oil to elongate the slots in the bumps and then trimmed a little bit of the material for the bolt head.

Same here. A little work with a die grinder narrows the slots and chops back into the polyurethane a little to allow using the stock threaded bolt holes and some all-thread.
I found the Prothanes to be too stiff for the weight of my XJ so the sides of the Prothanes were ground back at an angle to reduce the initial stiffness.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/4404567899/in/set-72157623386411798
The spacers are made from a plastic cutting board I swiped from my wife...and being an experienced long-term husband, I bought her a new 3-pack of cutting boards to replaced them.
Now I have more available stock to swipe.

Back