• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank Lock Nut

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
99XJ 4WD I6 220K

I am replacing the fuel pump and no matter what, the gas tank lock nut wouldnt budge, so I just cut it and bought a new one from the local stealership.

The new one looks exactly the same, but in black. I tried a dry run first and soon after the thread catches it becomes difficult to spin. I then start turning it by hitting it gently with a large flat head screwdriver and a mallet, but it pops out.

1. Is it possible that I got the wrong nut?
2. Is it possible that I am doing something wrong.
3. Any ideas why I was not able to take off the ring? This is the second time when I am replacing the fuel pump. I did not have any issues the first time around, neither disassembling, not assembling.

I would appreciate your fast reply as I need the truck for tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

The "mason jar" type lock ring?

You need to seat.the.gasket on the tank, then slide the pump in, trying to force the gasket in with the lock ring would make it very difficult.

It is not the easiest to get that part threaded back on. I press down evenly on it and use a screwdriver and hammer. That's how to get them off too. Just keep moving the screwdriver all around and eventually it will start moving.

Back