• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor mounts

Fenris

NAXJA Forum User
How long do stock motor mounts and tranny mounts last on average for a vehicle that gets used. I have a '97 with 4.0 and ax15 and I have new clunk. Sounds like something big when I go down washboard roads.

I'd check your exhaust hanger nearest to the transmission. Mine let go and It sounded like the transmission was trying to free itself from my 94. I dunno, I have an auto, maybe different.

I would say that there going to last longer in the hot dry area than in the North East with the snow and salt. My stockers lasted for 175,000miles. The trans was replaced at 210,000. I did go with MORE motor mounts and Rusty's Trans mount. I do get vibes from the motor mounts but I got them before they went with the new torsion rubber. I have poly. Nothing that will rattle your teeth but it's there. Juice

I've found just the opposite. Back East where its always raining and snowing rubber stays moist and lasts awhile. Out here in the desert it just falls apart. I'm now replacing my motor mounts at 100K. (The top of the driver side is completely gone.)

Matt

You would think that they would put in grease fittings for those in the dry areas like yours. Didn't really think about it that way. Juice

Thanks guys
Do the motor mounts make much noise when they start to let go on the xj's. I checked all my exhaust hangers and they look good. I have a small oil leak that bleeds onto the tranny mount, could this cause excess movement? TIA

Back