• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New member, new jeep, and new issues!

NikkiCO

NAXJA Forum User
Hallo everyone. I didn't see a new member area so I figured I'd post here. My name is Nikki and I just stepped into this world of XJs. I've been working with imports and tarmac-related vehicles for a long time but I'm totally new to Jeeps and 4x4 stuff so I'm a bit of a noob here. Currently I'm in Georgia but will be moving to Colorado in the next two weeks, so clearly I needed to get a viable 4wd! Hence the 2000 XJ sport.

So, here's my issue, one of many. I'm hearing a gurgling/dripping coming from the oil pan area after I shut the vehicle down. Since I don't know what is normal for the vehicles, is this something I should be worried about? I'm still getting used to this thing and its quirks so I apologize if this is a regular thing. If someone could point me to a "total beginner's dumb questions" thread that'd be great!

Thanks,
Nikki

WELCOME! Noobs are definitely welcome...

The gurgling is normal. Don't worry about it. The 4.0 is basically a tractor motor. Change the oil regularly and stay out of the red-line and they will go hundreds of thousands of miles.

Another thing you might notice is a ticking noise while the engine is running. It sounds a bit like a lifter tick. This is also normal as long as its coming from the purge valve that is mounted to the passenger side firewall. Put your hand on it while it's running and you'll feel it ticking. Looks like this:
images

Last edited:
Yes, it is.

There is far less wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Just remember, these trucks are usually pretty reliable and god awful simple. Try not to overthink when troubleshooting. And search/ask the forums. There are lots of pro techs and experienced DIYers here. There is little to nothing we as a whole have not encountered.

A helpful hint, place the year, engine, and trans, in your signature. It will probably help simplify tech help requests.

Last edited:
The best Jeep advice I ever got was to go ahead and buy a crankshaft position sensor, keep it in the glovebox with sockets and a long extension under the seat. That is the one part most likely to leave you stuck. Anytime you have crank with no start, that is the culprit 99 times out of 100.

Or even better, go ahead and change it out and keep the known good one in the glovebox.

Thanks everyone. After my last car I'm a bit hesitant about repairs because I got stuck with so many issues. I bought this thing hoping I wouldn't have to go through that again. And now there's all these weird noises! Anywho, I'm swapping all of the fluids and filters (except fuel filter) for posterity and trying to make sure it's all in order. I did have a cam position sensor throw a code the other day, but that was because I was trying to switch into neutral to check the wheel bearing noises, and went into reverse. On the highway. Felt like an utter idiot. But the code hasn't come back so I'm leaving it be for now. I'll pick up the crank position sensor this week :).

"Pull the lever Kronk!" (local joke):D

Well we made it! The XJ struggled toward the end with the heat failing and all kinds of suspension noises but it made the 1,400 mile journey without skipping a beat. Looks like I have some suspension repairs in my future, though. Any recommended shops in Denver?

Back