• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'd like to raise the tail pipe on my xj as close to the rear bumper as possible.

Anti Hero

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I'd like to either raise up the tail pipe on the xj or possibly cut the tip back a bit to get more clearance. Mine does the slight bend down at the end and I just about ripped my exhaust off while backing down an obstacle a few days ago. Has anyone here done this and have any suggestions? I'd like to either have the tip just barely under the rear bumper if possible or maybe cut off the piece that bend so it comes straight out. The only issue I see with cutting is possible fumes getting into the vehicle. Any and all suggestions/pics of what you've done are welcome. Thanks.

Here's the best picture I have of the exhaust to give an idea of what I'm talking about.

VUFcYQR.jpg

i would just cut it back about 4" or so & hide it next to the leaf spring....

Loosen or cut off the clamp at the muffler and rotate the tail pipe a bit. That's what I did with mine and it raised the tip about 3".

And then melt your rear leaf bushing.

why not make a couple slices most of the way through with a cutoff wheel, bend the tip up and weld it?

Loosen or cut off the clamp at the muffler and rotate the tail pipe a bit. That's what I did with mine and it raised the tip about 3".

I ended up just doing it the right way since I had pipe here. Cut the pipe and bent new pipe and welded it on. Came out exactly how I wanted it. Thanks for the suggestions though.

DEP2GhHl.jpg

After

Xmkgopvl.jpg

Strange that people would worry about fumes from cutting 4" off.

I have a turn down on the back of my muffler, mid-ship, with no doors, hatch or roof and have no signs of exhaust fumes. lol

Strange that people would worry about fumes from cutting 4" off.

I have a turn down on the back of my muffler, mid-ship, with no doors, hatch or roof and have no signs of Brain Cells. lol

FIFY haha :roll:

you probably have gotten use to it. I rode in my friends xj with no hatch and I was choking on the fumes... but then again, my nose is extra sensitive.

Rework the exhaust and terminate it pointed down and out in the gap between the leaf spring and the bumper with the end of the pipe about even with the bumper. That is what I have done and it fits great. If 3" exhaust fits and doesnt heat up the leaf bushing at all I doubt a 4.0L exhaust will have a problem.

Untitled.png

Rework the exhaust and terminate it pointed down and out in the gap between the leaf spring and the bumper with the end of the pipe about even with the bumper. That is what I have done and it fits great. If 3" exhaust fits and doesnt heat up the leaf bushing at all I doubt a 4.0L exhaust will have a problem.

Untitled.png
I just might do that when I re-do the entire exhaust. No interference with the leafs while at full articulation? Just went out and looked and i'm not sure how you'd rout that without something being in the way or hitting while flexing.

I just might do that when I re-do the entire exhaust. No interference with the leafs while at full articulation? Just went out and looked and i'm not sure how you'd rout that without something being in the way or hitting while flexing.

I might have shackles a lot lower than yours, which would help a lot. Im pretty sure mine is like 2/3 of the way from the axle to the shackle and several inches above the leaf so no issues. Also, its shaped so that the highest part is right over the leaf and then comes down after passing over the leaf.

And then melt your rear leaf bushing.

why not make a couple slices most of the way through with a cutoff wheel, bend the tip up and weld it?

yeah I made that one up no real experience........

melting or warming of any bushings is fairy tale, also no fumes in any part of the jeep, tailpipe does not drag on anything anymore....(5) years or more, no ill effects....

rearasspound_zpsad72b24f.jpg

Re: Re: I'd like to raise the tail pipe on my xj as close to the rear bumper as possi

I ended up just doing it the right way since I had pipe here. Cut the pipe and bent new pipe and welded it on. Came out exactly how I wanted it. Thanks for the suggestions though.

DEP2GhHl.jpg

After

Xmkgopvl.jpg
Looks good but if you had the pipe on hand and the ability to bend and weld it why would you even ask for other suggestions?

Re: I'd like to raise the tail pipe on my xj as close to the rear bumper as possi

Looks good but if you had the pipe on hand and the ability to bend and weld it why would you even ask for other suggestions?

Because I thought I could maybe cut the hanger and move up the stock pipe. Always good to see what others have done. I'm trying to do minimal labor right now since I recently had back surgery. Should have probably mentioned that.

I'd like to raise the tail pipe on my xj as close to the rear bumper as possi...

yeah I made that one up no real experience........

melting or warming of any bushings is fairy tale, also no fumes in any part of the jeep, tailpipe does not drag on anything anymore....(5) years or more, no ill effects....

rearasspound_zpsad72b24f.jpg

Wrong. Don't know if I cut mine shorter of if it is shaped a little differently. Developed a bad clunking around turns, finally inspected the bushings. Rear bushing on the pass side was gone. As in nothing left. Metal sleeve banging around inside the larger bushing sleeve. All the other 3 (and the fronts) were fine. I replaced it and put a turn down tip on it.

No problems with fumes though. But I do have a leaky muffler. No emissions here in SC!

Re: I'd like to raise the tail pipe on my xj as close to the rear bumper as possi...

Wrong. Don't know if I cut mine shorter of if it is shaped a little differently. Developed a bad clunking around turns, finally inspected the bushings. Rear bushing on the pass side was gone. As in nothing left. Metal sleeve banging around inside the larger bushing sleeve. All the other 3 (and the fronts) were fine. I replaced it and put a turn down tip on it.

No problems with fumes though. But I do have a leaky muffler. No emissions here in SC!

you did it wrong....

I'd like to raise the tail pipe on my xj as close to the rear bumper as possi...

you did it wrong....

You are probably right, and it's fixed now. But saying it's not possible to burn up that bushing with the exhaust is wrong too. Maybe someone will learn from my mistake, rather than repeat it because they don't think it's possible to ruin that bushing.

Back