• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj stroker

nokuout

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched through the forums, and am not finding good info on what stroker is the most liked. I'm looking to put a stroker in my 92 xj. Any help with who the go to company is. I'm in Yorba Linda, CA, would love to find a knowledgeable place down here some place that can do a complete install, along with any other needed component changes.

What other changes are necessary? (injectors, throttle body, exhaust, etc).

Thanks in advance.

Call Russ Pottenger, owner of Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines. 531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California - (626) 967-1000. Seriously knows his stuff and can answer all your questions.

Russ does make the best strokers around and is local. He does not do swaps and installs, though. I can recommend a couple of members here who may be interested in doing the swap for you and are very reliabe.

You'll want to change all of the major sensors at the same time, cooling system (at least hoses, pump, and have radiator serviced if not replaced). 24 pound injectors. A quality header is a good idea but not necessary, but if you do one it doesnt hurt to have 2.5" exhaust done with it, but not necessary.

Same deal with a bored throttle body. Good for top end power, but if you just want freeway cruising its not really necessary.

Talk to Russ for more details.

Its hard to get Russ on his shop line, he doesnt always hear it over the machinery. Best to call his cell so he can see the missed call and call you back.

Tell him Naxja sent you. :)

Last edited:
Some pictures from our latest Bishop-Buehl stroker (the third one in this jeep.. all upgrades from the previous, now near 400 hp).

IMG_20140103_203023656_zpslq26e4k8.jpg

IMG_20140103_203035039_zpsuitmm9pn.jpg

IMG_20140103_203324557_zpsoxkmrnvf.jpg

IMG_20140105_124754471_zpssy1jbydg.jpg

IMG_20140609_190418373_HDR_zpstlygwgue.jpg

I going to be having Russ build me one and I can tell you from talking to him on the phone that I would not go with anyone else other than Russ at this point. The guy straight up nails it and caters to your specific needs. I would recommend him to anyone and that is just from a few calls.

I must add my recommendation to Russ as well. He built my motor and I can't be more happy. He will build what you need, from a stump puller to a race screamer.

David Bricker / SYR - LAX

That looks like some nice porting work. Much nicer than I have seen from some other "high end" vendors. How far back does he port the intake manifold? What is the source for that valve cover spacer? It looks too thin to be Hesco's.

That looks like some nice porting work. Much nicer than I have seen from some other "high end" vendors. How far back does he port the intake manifold? What is the source for that valve cover spacer? It looks too thin to be Hesco's.

IMG_20140103_203305895_zps1i6qw3vn.jpg

I don't recall there being any accessible part of the manifold that was not tickled in some way. Russ's primary focus is top fuel and alcohol drag motors, with some pro gas stuff to fill the voids. He does the jeep strokers for fun, and often refers to them as "racing tractors" based on the engine design.

When we built the first 4643 motor he put 100 or so hours into the head, and then borrowed a Hesco head from someone, and put both on the flowbench. He beat hesco by 20%.

This is the second top end revision for our car. It pulls hard up through 6500-7000 RPM's and feels like it has more to give but we get afraid. I think our bottleneck is the 63.5mm throttle body, but thats a discussion for a different thread. ;)

That valve cover spacer is actually just another valve cover that James dropped into a mill and let it grind away. We didnt really want to spend $80 on Hesco's billet spacer, nor did we want to wait for it to ship. ;)

Anyways, getting side tracked there so back to the focus. Russ knows what he's doing. :)

100 hours on head? Holy crap. When we were still boat racing and setting up pro gas and blown gas deals, we had way less time than that. Crazy amount of time on a head.

Back