• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easy Rough Country Long Arm Johnny Joint Upgrade

joester1908

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running a Rough Country long arm kit on my MJ. I went to adjust it this weekend and found this...

1D2B76B8-356B-4B0F-AACB-FB7BA7A58173.jpg

7DF24957-2EBB-4806-B7AA-2C0FEE8E180E.jpg

7B868959-A3F6-438E-9316-B34CA053D31F_1.jpg

The flex joint on the upper control arm was shot. The metal disk was taco-ed, and the joint was completely unusable due to the threads being damaged. I went down to the local 4x4 shop where I bought it, and I was told that it was fairly common for those joints to blow out.

Rough Country doesn't sell just the joints, but they do sell rebuild kits, which were a week out. I decided I was going to upgrade
46BF0668-8DD1-4213-BE08-FBF202917427.jpg

Here's the link to them if you're interested: http://www.currieent...ct.aspx?id=1262

The only issue with them is that the Rough Country ones have twice the thread. If yours are threaded out pretty far, these might not have enough. For me, they worked perfectly. They thread in and are the same exact size as the Rough Country ones. These are much more heavy duty.

I did not install lower johnny joints from Currie, I kept the RC ones because they weren't damaged. But these are the same size as the Rough Country lower joints. But the Rough Country ones had quite a bit more thread. I don't know if these would fit, but that is my guess if you're looking to upgrade: http://www.currieent...ct.aspx?id=2629

Here's the Currie Johnny Joints installed on my Jeep
B83C71D8-FDEF-4F66-98CF-92F73A09111E.jpg

I really like the RC long arm, but the joints kinda suck. Quick upgrade and waaay beefier!

I think this is the problem that 90% of people have with the RC long arm, nice to see thats its an easy upgrade. Those Johnny Joints should last much longer!

Hopefully RC will wise up and start using Currie joints in all their products.

Got tired of buying RC rebuild kits after every other trip.

Here's the link to them if you're interested: http://www.currieent...ct.aspx?id=1262

The only issue with them is that the Rough Country ones have twice the thread. If yours are threaded out pretty far, these might not have enough. For me, they worked perfectly. They thread in and are the same exact size as the Rough Country ones. These are much more heavy duty.

I did not install lower johnny joints from Currie, I kept the RC ones because they weren't damaged. But these are the same size as the Rough Country lower joints. But the Rough Country ones had quite a bit more thread. I don't know if these would fit, but that is my guess if you're looking to upgrade: http://www.currieent...ct.aspx?id=2629

Curious, but those links are not working for me.

:dunno:

Most of the aftermarket suspension stuff uses 3/4" or 1 1/4" UNC threads, meaning that with the right spacers heims, johnny joints, bushing housings, whatever else can be swapped in.
Very few after market parts I've seen use fine threads or metric.

Hello guys, new here. I've seen this post here and it's the most recent one I can find concerning the RC joints. Maybe you guys can help me out here. I have a 2000 XJ lifted with the RC 4.5 long arm. Had the lift on for 6 months, but after 4 months I've notice the following ......

1. A thumping noise on the passenger side when turning or hitting an uneven pavement.
2. Issues with caster
3. On highway it drive smooth, at city speeds I'm back and forth with the steering, catching it for a lack of better words.

Was or is this the issue you guys have been dealing with with RC's joints??? Please help.

1. A thumping noise on the passenger side when turning or hitting an uneven pavement.
2. Issues with caster
3. On highway it drive smooth, at city speeds I'm back and forth with the steering, catching it for a lack of better words.

1. Mine does the same. I noticed whenever I hit a bump down the freeway, or a pothole on a logging road. What I found is that my drivers side lower flex joint has now blown out just like the uppers did. Mind you, they were good when I replaced the uppers with the Curries. So now I'm looking in to the Currie lowers...
2. Elaborate. What type of issues are you having? I was able to get my caster to around 4 or 5 degrees, which, according to my local 4x4 shop, isn't too bad. I guess factory spec is 7. At 4 or 5, my driveline angle is perfect.
3. That just started happening after the lift? To me, that doesn't sound as much a problem with the lift, but your steering. I have about 1/8th a turn of play in my steering wheel. My tie rod ends are completely shot. I was having a clunk when I was turning and it was pulling to the right. I found that my track bar bracket was loose on the frame.

Have someone jump in your Jeep and put it in neutral, with the engine running, and just turn left, right, left, right, just until the wheels barely move. I bet you'll find worn out TREs, and if anything is loose you'll see it move.

Hope that helps.

The drivers side lower Flex Joint has come apart like the uppers did. I'm going to call RC today. The Currie lowers I posted are the correct thread and size, but I don't think they're going to have long enough threads. Mine stick out of the arm so far.

does any one know if the joints that are listed above will work in rough country's short arm control arms as well? im looking at upgrading mine on my used control arms and would like to go with heims or johnny joints (preferably heims as I can get them for a cheaper price per joint even with the misalignment spacers then I can for the johnny joints)

I am using currie joints, not sure of the part # as i horse traded for them, although the shank is shorter than the RC joints, they worked for me on RC short arms with drop brackets, YMMV

I wonder if they will work on 6.5" lift on RC Long Arms?

Anyone tried the JJ on 6.5"?

I know I need them!

I have also switched to the Currie JJ set up (long ago) I sit at about 5.5" lift w/ RC long arms. IIRC.... The shank on the JJ's is about maxed out for my liking, But they haven't caused me any trouble from that standpoint. 6.5" though.... would really be pushing it. IMO....... I also run heims on the uppers, but those too are SAFELY maxed out on thread length. LOL

Anyone know where to find monster heims with a 1.25" x 14 but a 3-3.5" long shank??

I have also switched to the Currie JJ set up (long ago) I sit at about 5.5" lift w/ RC long arms. IIRC.... The shank on the JJ's is about maxed out for my liking, But they haven't caused me any trouble from that standpoint. 6.5" though.... would really be pushing it. IMO....... I also run heims on the uppers, but those too are SAFELY maxed out on thread length. LOL

Anyone know where to find monster heims with a 1.25" x 14 but a 3-3.5" long shank??

Thanks!

ruffstuff has 1.25" x 14 heim joints but I don't know how long there shank is. it looks to be only about 2.5" or so. I know speedway motors also has cheap good quality heims but I don't know the length of them.

Quick comparison pic I took while swapping out my RC long arm lowers. The Johnny Joints have 3.25 inches of threaded shank.

a2689be54ef1f830c66107906d05a44e.jpg

They solved a few clunks that I had.

Back