• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Side exit exhaust, through side of bed

DaKing

NAXJA Forum User
Building my exhaust. I decided I wanted to run the pipes and muffler high in the frame, and have nothing exit under. So I cut a hole in the side of the bed, and ran exhaust there.

The muffler will mount high under the bed, just in front of axle. Its a same side IN / OUT. Its a larger muffler, for a deeper sound.

I'll be putting an 8" flex pipe near header to prevent header cracks.

I'll be wrapping the headers (already done). And wrapping most of the exhaust piping. For a few reasons, one the pipe runs near the transmission and I want to keep heat down. And the hotter the exhaust gasses the better the flow. An Exhaust that runs too large of a pipe, or too long of a pipe will have issues, as the gasses cool. (Its dry where I live, so I'm not worried about rust due to moisture in the wrap)

I'm going extreme on the mounting too, to insure proper weight, and strength. multi rubber isolators.

52580.jpg

(Exhaust is not not done, that tip is just hanging in these pictures) I Think I'll mount it so less is sticking out, and angled down a bit.

Definitely needs to be angled down and back with a slash cut tip, use a stainless tip it cools off faster and less likely to burn someone.

how did you route it through the frame rails? didnt think there was enough room between the bed and the frame to squeeze an exhaust through

there's a gap big enough right nxt to the front mounts for the bed, before the frame rails hump up for the rear axle.

it's probably 3" or so. Be real tight.

Seems like it might give you a hotspot in the bed. And no concerns about the heat affecting the paint?

the plate is there to cover up the heat affected area, prerunners have been doing this for years running the exhaust through fiberglass bedsides,. our own Dan Turner has this type of setup on his XJ going through a 'glass body panel in fact.

Finally done, took awhile. other things came up and what not... anyway,. It came out just like I envisioned. I wanted to tuck the muffler higher, but it should be fine where its at.

custom 2.5" down pipe with 2 O2 Sensor ports (factory and wide-band).
2.5" flex pipe to prevent stress on header.
2.5" band clamp to allow easy removal
heat shield on exhaust pipe near transmission
long straight mid pipe 5ft long. ( I'll add a Cat there)
muffler mounted under bed, in front of rear axle. same side IN / OUT. 3 hangers for support. Band clamp to allow removal of muffler.
Pipe bent up and around the frame for exit.
burnt blue exhaust tips.

down pipe -

flex

Tip, mounted angled down a bit

I hope you carry a fire extinguisher. :flame:

We'll I opted out of the flame thorougher exhaust tip, so I'm only running a small fire extinguisher.

The exhaust is with in norms, there is plenty of room between the pipes and other items. 5 plus inches from top of muffler to bottom of bed. The closest anything gets is at the last bend before the tip. That's about the same distance as if the tail pipe exited behind the truck.

I do need to relocate the main (00) battery cable up a little bit. (Main cable is feed from rear mounted battery)

There is a metal plate around the exhaust tip hole.

I'm talking about the proximity of your exhaust pipe to your fuel pump, fuel tank, and fuel lines.

It doesn't look much closer than the stock configuration.

Oh, I see.

Actually its a trick of the photo. There is over 2ft between the pipe and tank. The drive shaft and parking brake cables fit in that space, with plenty of room.

Looks real nice!

Next step: Upper Control Arms :D ~Ron

Just installed a long arm kit. 3rd lift kit I've installed on this jeep, and I've never driven it yet...

2 radiators, 2 power steering pumps, 3 intakes, 2 headers, 2 panels, 3 sets of shocks, 2 fuel pumps, 2 water pumps, 2 water necks, 2 Throttle bodies,, and a bunch more stuff. And its never seen 1 mile, just been pushed around. :)

Try a resonator, it changes the tone of the exhaust. Usually less expensive than a cat.

Back