• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88xj-ltd ... Rough idle, oil gauge pegged, runs terrible

Prevenge

NAXJA Forum User
Ok , long, stupid story made short as possible. procrastinated changing my worn battery cables which left me stranded...vice grip bandaid fix to get to the parts store. This caused my (+)-to-starter cable to wear through and fully ground out against the motor mount..enough that it killed the jeep in the middle of an intersection. Just died in a plume of smoke , which i discovered was probably cause by the braided manifold-to-firewall ground strap heating up and burning through the plastic split wrap for the wiring harness (on the other side of the engine from where the initial contact occurred.)
Now..somewhat luckily I died about 50 feet from the parts store so I was able to replace both the (+)-to-starter and the (-)-to-dipstick ground and drove it home. After a jumpstart I noticed first that it was idling terrible, stuttering and missing. Also my oil pressure gauge is pegged to the max with no sign of moving. I expect to have to replace a sensor or two. Just going refresh the contact for the ground and scout for shorts in the harness where it got melted but what I wanted to know is... What else does this type of electrical short have the potential to wreck? Should I be prepared to worry about the computer or should fuses/fuselinks protect most of that stuff?

OK....I found the oil pressure gauge issue....was just accidentally disconnected when I was messing with the starter cable. Burn damage is pretty minimal but it did melt the small vacuum line goin to the firewall mounted sensor (MAP ?) could that cause issues with how it runs at the moment. seems to miss and idles like its cammed lol...mrap-mrap-mrap-mrap.
I tryed patching the line with some other slightly bigger hose and electrical tape but it seems to still do it......any help would be appreciated

The MAP vac will cause misfire. Did you make sure that the vac line is connected to the correct "hole" in the TB? Only one of them goes through.

i got it figured. the vac line was melted so i taped it up, thinking it was leaking. but it was actually plugged due to the melt so i sawed it off and got creative with a bit of gasket maker , hose and rubber tape. back to normal , well actually runs better with the new cables, now. Thanks for the input.

Back