• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OTK Steering Question

joester1908

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, so I have a 1990 Comanche. It's lifted 5.5 inches with Rubicon Express coils, shocks, and track bar, Rough Country long arm kit, TJ D44 front, XJ D44 rear end, SOA. Im on 35x12.5R15s

Now that you know the basics about the Jeep, I want to upgrade my steering from the stock, worn out 2 piece tie rod to a knuckle to knuckle steering. Ive done a TON of research on the subject, and I've decided against UTK because 1) I've been hearing of tie rod/ball joint roll 2)I hear the steering can hit aftermarket diff covers (like my ARB one) and 3) More ground clearance.

With OTK, I've been reading it is necessary to relocate the track bar to the top of the axle, in order to eliminate bump steer. I'm looking at purchasing the JCR OTK 1 ton steering, JKS track bar relocation bracket, JKS sway bar relocation bracket, and some steering box bracing from IRO.

Now comes to my question:

If I run that setup, which track bar would I need? I have a RE1660 now,(adjustable Rubicon Express) Logic would tell me it would be too long when the track bar is on the top side of the axle.

The reason I've decided on the JCR OTK is because I have heard SO many good things about it, and the price is right in my price range. Is there anything else I am forgetting?

Thanks for the information guys, there is so much out there, its making my head spin...:roll:

You will need to customize your track bar. Any TB built for the XJ/MJ will obviously go to the stock position and be too long. You can either build one from scratch or modify an existing. This is an RE HD that was chopped down to be used with the JKS OAB.

31061ae5.jpg

I've decided against UTK because 1) I've been hearing of tie rod/ball joint roll 2)I hear the steering can hit aftermarket diff covers With OTK, I've been reading it is necessary to relocate the track bar to the top of the axle, in order to eliminate bump steer.
If I run that setup, which track bar would I need? I have a RE1660 now,(adjustable Rubicon Express) Logic would tell me it would be too long when the track bar is on the top side of the axle.QUOTE]

To run the track bar over the top will require cutting it down to a shorter length. You ideally want a track bar with double-sheer mounts at both ends.
Which UTK steering are you referring to as having TRE roll and hitting the diff cover? Currie's replacement doesn't have these problems.

At you lift, an OTK setup is going to work a lot better, providing a flatter drag-link, tie-rod and track bar, giving less bump steer and more precise steering.

Which UTK steering are you referring to as having TRE roll and hitting the diff cover? Currie's replacement doesn't have these problems.

At you lift, an OTK setup is going to work a lot better, providing a flatter drag-link, tie-rod and track bar, giving less bump steer and more precise steering.

I have really only considered purchasing the JCR UTK, but I have looked at 10-15 different ones. I was warned multiple times on Comanche Club about tie rod roll. As for hitting the diff cover, most of them say right on the page that the tie rod will hit the diff cover.

I was told by my local 4x4 shop that the Currie only works for up to 4.5 inches of lift? I'm not sure about how accurate that is.

I'm looking for just that....I'm tired of lose steering and worrying about damaging it. When I installed the RE track bar, it came with a new bracket. The JKS will be what I'm looking for, correct?

You will need to customize your track bar. Any TB built for the XJ/MJ will obviously go to the stock position and be too long. You can either build one from scratch or modify an existing. This is an RE HD that was chopped down to be used with the JKS OAB.

31061ae5.jpg

That looks awesome. So it's definitely doable. Where did you find that picture from?

31061ae5.jpg

WJ knuckle swap?

I have serious offroad UTK and a riddler cover and it clears by a paper width. And the only cover lower profile then the riddler cover is the ARB so it would probably be fine. When I was researching going UTK I emailed a bunch of the diff cover companys to see who's stuck out the least from the mounting surface so I would have the least trouble. It came down to riddler or ARB and ARB lost out on price.

Also, if you use the poly spacers ball joint roll is minimal. I actually need to replace mine now after about 15k miles but my jeeps steering was as tight as my mustangs when the spacers were new. Absoutly no tie rod roll.

I ordered up the ruffsuff kit (same thing as JCR) and an extra piece of DOM and made my own track bar using heims and a JKS relocation bracket. I have no clearance issues at the ruff stuff cover, but the tie rod hits the front of the coil buckets and really limits steering. It’s actually one of my biggest complaints, last time out wheeling trails I could do so easily do before required lots of backing up to get around trees.... but it is beef and I would for sure get the JCR spacers or equivalent because the tie rod roll is very noticeable on the street.

I have serious offroad UTK and a riddler cover and it clears by a paper width. And the only cover lower profile then the riddler cover is the ARB so it would probably be fine. When I was researching going UTK I emailed a bunch of the diff cover companys to see who's stuck out the least from the mounting surface so I would have the least trouble. It came down to riddler or ARB and ARB lost out on price.

Also, if you use the poly spacers ball joint roll is minimal. I actually need to replace mine now after about 15k miles but my jeeps steering was as tight as my mustangs when the spacers were new. Absoutly no tie rod roll.

So your UTK doesn't have any tie rod roll with the poly spacer?

I always thought the ARB cover was pretty big, that's awesome if it wont hit with UTK.

How about bump steer? Is there any at all? I know I'm getting a little bit with my stock steering. But the way my TREs look, I'd doubt they have ever been changed with all 250k on my Jeep...

I feel like if you're spending all the money for upgraded steering you might as well go OTK. But you're spending quite a bit more with the sway bar relocation, track bar relocation, etc.

I ordered up the ruffsuff kit (same thing as JCR) and an extra piece of DOM and made my own track bar using heims and a JKS relocation bracket. I have no clearance issues at the ruff stuff cover, but the tie rod hits the front of the coil buckets and really limits steering. It’s actually one of my biggest complaints, last time out wheeling trails I could do so easily do before required lots of backing up to get around trees.... but it is beef and I would for sure get the JCR spacers or equivalent because the tie rod roll is very noticeable on the street.

So you have OTK and there's still tie rod roll? Sounds like that poly bushing is really worth it then!

I have been through this on multiple setups on various rigs. using both heims and TREs

anything with a high enough durometer to counteract the tie-rod roll will damage the TRE. and wear out rather quickly.

anything with a low enough durometer to not damage the TRE will hardly counteract the tierod roll.

next time you have an opportunity, disconnect the drivers side knuckle from the tie-rod. then turn both knuckles to full lock one way. look and see what SAI is doing to your joints.

9YAgVZK.jpg

Ruff stuff trac-bar is a great buy. I bought the offset axle mount and the outboard frame side and cut up the RK bracket and had it welded to the base plate of that.

I have bumpsteer but it isn't bad.

I didn't do OTK because I daily drive my jeep and doing the sway bar relocation and trackbar relocation seemed like more then I wanted to tackle at the time. It is better if you have the time and motivation to do the work required.

Last edited:

:D

Back