• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rotor grinding knuckle

Forceful Llama

NAXJA Forum User
94 4.0 hp30
Made a mistake and bent an axle shaft ear while changing ujoints last week. Got a set of replacement axle shafts off another member here with unit bearings attached . Using the info in this post

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/any-difference-hubs-360959/

I now have a unit bearing from 99.5 on. I matched the correct cast rotor from a 2000 accordingly from autozone. After driving it yesterday I experienced horrible grinding/rubbing noises coming from the front end. I had assumed maybe the unit bearing was bad. Upon removing the wheel and rotor today I noticed fresh grind mark on my dust shield and knuckle. What am I missing here? Did I read the measurements off the post wrong? First picture is what's currently installed

The one bolted in is about 3/4 and my old one about 1/2. Measeaured many times, bolted my old rotor in first and the jeep wouldn't move at idle as it was bound up. Maybe the autozone one wasn't machined right? I'll get a better look tmw, headed to work now.

I would consider getting the rotor swapped out if possible.

I had a similar problem with my UB's from orileys. It turned out it was the inside of the rotor dragging against the mounting flange on the UB. It was where the casting flashing hadn't been cut away enough and I had to file all three corners down, otherwise it was all bound up. This was on the older style UB's (my jeep is an 88), with my old rotors.

This has happened with multiple UB replacements.

I removed mine when I did my brakes. Most of us do.

I doubt it would have been an issue with the wrong bearing because if you use shorter wheel bearing with the taller rotor the rotor digs into the knuckle so hard that the wheels WILL NOT turn. Ask me how I know. lol

I doubt it would have been an issue with the wrong bearing because if you use shorter wheel bearing with the taller rotor the rotor digs into the knuckle so hard that the wheels WILL NOT turn. Ask me how I know. lol

Heh. Ya, that's what happened at first. I could throttle thru it but I knew something was wrong. Researched and found out about different bearing/rotor set ups. Was just confused since I was sure I had it figured out. All good now though after a little massaging.

Back