• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start after dash removal

lasemase72

NAXJA Forum User
I did my heater core and a few other things last night in my 98 4.0 AX15. Buttoned everything up at around 11:00 PM and now it wont start.

It turns over fine and the dash and lights work. I have not checked for fuel or spark yet because I was fed up at that point and went to sleep. At work now. These are the things I did last night:

Pulled dash
Replaced Heater core
Removed dead AC parts except the compressor
Flushed the cooling system
Pulled the airbag to check for loose wires (horn stopped working before the dash removal)
Removed the old busted radio the PO installed

Everything ran fine before I pulled the dash. Is there anything under the dash that would prevent ignition? I have read if it is a fuel issue it could be the relay.. I have a brand new pump in there. Fuse?

If it is no spark, what could be causing that?

Oh also, My scanner cannot connect at all. Never had an issue before. Could it be related?

Last edited:
A dark blue wire with a white stripe runs from the ignition switch down and above the gas pedal area. Not exactly sure of the 98 setup, but my 96 has a connector there also. No power with the key in the run position on that dark blue wire with a white stripe and the ASD relay and the fuel pump relay aren't going to work.

Again not sure of the setup on the 98 but the C4 pin (86 pin) ASD relay should be hot with the key in the run position. Same with the D 4 (86 pin) fuel pump relay.

No power there and you have an open circuit between the relays and the ignition switch on the dark blue and white wire.

Someplace to start, may or may not be your issue. I had trouble with that circuit on my 96. And it is in the area you were working on.

...scanner cannot connect at all. Never had an issue before. Could it be related?

Yes. If there is a short circuit or open circuit in the 5 volt BUS the PCM will shut down to self-protect, and scanner may not connect.

Start by rechecking all the wire harnesses you disconnected, are they all connected and tight ? Inspect same for any pinched or damaged wires. Make sure the main fire wall pass through wire plug is snug and the bolt is snug.

Back