• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick and easy(ish) crankshaft position sensor replacement

JeepNoob

NAXJA Forum User
What if I told you that you could remove and replace your crank sensor in an hour or less without removing any major stuff (intake manifold, transmission cross member, etc) with tools you probably already have? Sounds impossible right? In fact, that's exactly what I did today on my '96 4.0. Here's how-

Tools I needed
-3/8" drive ratchet
-13mm socket (shouldn't need to be deep-well, but I used mine anyways)
-10mm socket
-Various 3/8" extensions (one 9", one 6", and one 3")
-Flat blade screwdriver (I didn't need one, but you might)
-Crow's feet (I needed an 11mm one)

I'm gonna touch on the last one for a minute since they're basically the key to this whole thing. Crow's feet look like the open/crescent end of a combination wrench, but with a square where the rest of the wrench should be and nothing else. As a result they're pretty short (about an inch or so.) The square is for attaching a ratchet or an extension, usually a 3/8" drive one. They're great for getting lots of torque into tight places.

Here's how I did it-
The crank sensor is located on the top of the bellhousing on the driver's side. You may have to look for it to find it, but trust me, it's there. If you're having difficulty finding it, the connector plugs into the engine wiring harness near the throttle position sensor. Trace the plastic wire conduit back and down and you should be able to see it.

You'll want to make sure your engine is completely cold since you'll be working close to the header. Wasn't much of a problem for me since the engine hadn't run in about 3 days. A long sleeve shirt that's close-fitting, but still gives you room to move might be a good idea too since there's a lot of pointy stuff looking to tear you up with this method.

First, remove your air intake or box. I have a stock air box and fittings. You might need the screwdriver to undo the clamps on the hose or the clips on the airbox, but I didn't need one. I removed the bottom of the air box by removing one nut and two bolts with my 13mm socket, ratchet, and my 9" extension.

Now here's where it gets tricky... attach your appropiately sized crow's foot to an extension. My 3" one worked fine, but I'm also 6'3" and built like a telephone pole (which might explain why I was able to do this using this method) Remember the righty-tighty, lefty-loosey rule? Well, that's as your looking at the fastener. Since you're working on the backside of these bolts, the opposite applies, so set your ratchet up to tighten (as you're looking at it) to loosen these bolts and vice-versa. Set the crow's foot up with the opening facing down and the ratchet with the handle more or less facing down as well. Next slip your arm with the ratchet, extrnsion, and crow's foot under the intake manifold using all the space you created by removing the air box. You might be able to work your other arm in there to support the crow's foot with your hand. Place the crow's foot securely on the bolts, turn the ratchet, and you should be able to break the bolts loose. Once I did this, I was pretty much able to turn the bolts with the crow's foot and an extension (no ratchet), and then with my fingers. Don't be afraid to move around a bit if you need to during this process... a few times I found myself with one knee on the front of the valve cover and the other atop the grille panel. Pull the crank sensor out of it's hole in the bellhousing, remove the one 10mm bolt that holds the plastic conduit clamp (it's near the throttle body) and you're done! Just like always, installation is the reverse of removal.

Last edited:
My way is easier, I send my youngest son under there with a half dozen extensions and a ratchet. :) I sip my coffee and stuporvise.

Lol. Wish I could do that but, alas... At first I tried getting at them from the bottom, but after fighting with a bunch of stuff (like the front driveshaft and slave cylinder) and 8 lbs of extensions and a swivel hanging off a ratchet, I gave up. It was at this point I started thinking there HAD to be some way to get at them from the top. A bunch of shiny new tools later (granted, tools I needed/wanted) I arrived at this as the best solution. Like I said too though, my arms and hands are pretty long and thin which definitely seem to help in this situation.

I should also add that apparently on the later models, the crank sensor can be accessed by removing the gauges and a little panel in the firewall.

I swing the transfer case skid out of the way and use a 3 foot extension, universal, and 7/16" socket. I already had the front driveshaft removed. This was on my 97. I changed one in my 01 a bunch of years ago and don't remember how I did it, I think the same way, but didn't remove the driveshaft. Just use an extension long enough to clear the crossmember.

A 3 foot extension is also handy for removing transmission bell housing bolts. I already had one in my tool box.

Yeah, I've done that before... nothing like begging, borrowing, and stealing every last 3/8" extension in the shop to get those last two bolts at the top of a 700R4 bellhousing out lol. Like I said though, I got tired of trying to wrangle all that stuff from the underside. It was a PITA on that 700R4 and it was such a PITA on this that I gave up on it. Matter of fact, it took about as long before I finally gave up as it did for me to actually complete the job using this method. Besides, I could really only see one bolt from the underside anyways. Would've tried it this way sooner, but had to buy myself some crow's feet today first... To make matters worse, I have an AX-15 with an external slave cylinder and the line and stuff was kinda getting in the way. Don't know if it would any easier on an automatic or not.

I drill holes in my firewall roughly where the CPS lives. Put a socket and extension through the holes and take it out. Reverse for installation. Then put plugs in the holes or slap some good Gorilla tape over the holes. Done in 15 mins or less.

??? Why are you all working so hard to do a crank sensor? Ive changed them in parking lots from underneath in 20 min or less....

I always cut a notch in the bottom of the ears on the sensor so all I have to do is loosen the bolts rather than completely remove them.

Also, from the bottom no problem. If you have tree trunks for arms it makes it a bit easier to remove the front driveshaft first.

Yeah, I've done that before... nothing like begging, borrowing, and stealing every last 3/8" extension in the shop to get those last two bolts at the top of a 700R4 bellhousing out lol. Like I said though, I got tired of trying to wrangle all that stuff from the underside. It was a PITA on that 700R4 and it was such a PITA on this that I gave up on it. Matter of fact, it took about as long before I finally gave up as it did for me to actually complete the job using this method. Besides, I could really only see one bolt from the underside anyways. Would've tried it this way sooner, but had to buy myself some crow's feet today first... To make matters worse, I have an AX-15 with an external slave cylinder and the line and stuff was kinda getting in the way. Don't know if it would any easier on an automatic or not.

Why would you need "every last 3/8" extension in the shop" when all you need is one 36" extension? I also use the 36" for the intake/exhaust manifold bolts. With such a long extension, it clears the fenders so there is no chance of knocking into metal or paint you don't want to. I use a 24" on the upper shock mounts, motor mounts, and belt tensioners. Long extensions and a 1/2" drive flex head long handle ratchet make some of these jobs fairly straightforward.

This was one of the first projects I tackled when I got my first air ratchet, took no time at all and made me realize how useful air tools are.

I always cut a notch in the bottom of the ears on the sensor so all I have to do is loosen the bolts rather than completely remove them.

Also, from the bottom no problem. If you have tree trunks for arms it makes it a bit easier to remove the front driveshaft first.

That's a great idea, the notching.

I remove the rear of the drive shaft...

Back