• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 5-speed: No backup lights

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Wanted to specify the trans up front so the NSS doesn't come up as a solution ;)

Thus far I've replaced the bulbs, and the reverse switch with a Mopar replacement. Fuse is good.

Guessing there's a short in the wiring at this point? Anyone have any info on how this is routed? Common spot where this one chafes or goes bad?

The rest of the tail lamps work so I don't think the ground is the issue. Any insight is much appreciated.

Check for voltage going into the fuse.

that fuse also operates the a/c clutch, and the a/c works flawlessly. So I don't believe the fuse is the issue.

Voltage should be to the switch with key on. Voltage should go out of the switch with key on and transmission in reverse. With no power to switch the new switch can't do its job.

Follow up on this.

Pulled the connection and jumped the two pins, then turned the key to accessory- had reverse lights.

Unscrewed the switch from the trans, plugged it in, turned the key to accessory and pushed the plunger with a rubberized screwdriver (safety first!)- had reverse lights.

Moral of the story, these things need to be screwed in there tight- I had it in there about as tight as the one I removed (which might have been working to begin with) and they didn't work.

Kept going a few more turns and there you have it- working reverse lights.

Back