• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The wife rolled my XJ :-(

Puddin99

NAXJA Forum User
So my wife roll the daily driver jeep XJ (94). She's ok - was wearing her seat belt and only bumped her elbow. They didn't even stop.

Someone pulled out in front of her and did not accelerate so she was forced to slam on the breaks and swerve, which forced her to go into a ditch and roll on it's side. Had it towed home. So if you see a purple suburban in west Portland, be sure to thank them for me. Grrr!

So my question is, with the damage, is it totaled? The back hatch is crunched and one of the rear top corners is pushed in. The tie rod is also bent which shows the force that was on it. Inside is covered with transmission oil (5spd). I've never totaled a vehicle before, what will the insurance company do? Yes, I have full coverage on it. Should I pull off all of the armor?

Thanks.

Ken

When I totaled my last YJ they let me swap out everything I put on it with factory stuff, other then the rear bumper. The insurance adjuster liked it and wanted it for his own Jeep so he just compensated me for it.

The rear hatch alone will total out a 94 XJ..

Glad everyone is okay, My advice.. Dont even claim it.. (if you can afford to just pick up another cheap XJ and swap parts)

they will value it under $2000, and after deductable & fee's, you'll get way less..

So you walk away with $1k (depending on your deductable) and now your insurance rate will go up for the next 12 months.. so you'll just end up paying that small payout back..

I just went through this.

I just went through a stupid driver situation a couple months ago with my 86 2 door. A bad woman driver pulled across the highway in front of me without enough room for me to do anything but slam on the brakes and hit her. Her insurance company totalled mine out because of cost of repairs versus value. They gave me almost $3,600 after buyback. All it needs is an alignment because the steering got stretched a little, fender, header panel and bumper. I'm doing some upgrades to it at the same time including a 2000 nose...

One thing I've learned is if an accident is gonna happen and you know the other person is at fault(by law not your opinion) don't try and avoid, just hit them or let them hit you. It's better to make them pay then have your own insurance pay and your rates go up. Happened when my brother rolled his car because someone had stuck the back of their car out in the road at night and didn't have their lights on, he swerved to avoid hitting and crashed, learned later that if he had clipped the car, it would have been their fault, not his.

Damn man. Sorry to hear. Glad your wife is ok. That's the most important part. As for the xj can you post some pictures? It's most likely totaled. Even if you fixed it it would probably never drive right and be all out of wack. Once a vehicle is rolled a lot of little problems start to pop up even after being repaired.

Damn man. Sorry to hear. Glad your wife is ok. That's the most important part. As for the xj can you post some pictures? It's most likely totaled. Even if you fixed it it would probably never drive right and be all out of wack. Once a vehicle is rolled a lot of little problems start to pop up even after being repaired.

not true. everything is fixable. it just depends on how worth it it is to you, and how far/how much you want to throw at it.

Bronze.

I had Oregon Mutual. Mine was rear-ended by a non-insured drunk driver. Look for my past thread. External damage: none. Internal, a bit.
Unibody was off a 6 mm. and passenger rear corner had to be pulled out a little bit. Needed a new exhaust, console cover and a driver seat. $2700 estimate. Adjuster was "yeah, get it fixed". I think a computer kicked it out to be totaled. They sent out an person to get a value for me. Finally totalled it at $5200 after buyback of $450. Body shop cost me about 600. Exhaust cast me about 200. Arm rest cost me 20. New PRP's cost me about 900. The rest went into Mustang work and bills.

Check Craigslist. You would be amazed what Cherokees can get these days.

But I do have a runabilility issue that continues to plague me. Found out I also destroyed an O2 sensor. Replaced and a month later the issue is back. My Jeep is a back up vehicle so I will get to it eventually. Too many other things going on right now.

One thing I don't understand is craigslist is not a reliable source for values. I have seen people trying to sell used stuff for more than new. Now granted an xj to us xj owners is a valuable thing but the bottom line is they aren't worth anything to speak off. They don't hold value like a Toyota or like a Dodge diesel for example. The best one could hope for is a cheap buy back and make it a wheeler or scrap it if its bad.

Craigslist, Ebay, etc...., are just tools we have to try and help establish a 'market' value for our perspective. Based on what is available at a given time and what people, especially dealerships are asking for a given vehicle. It is far from a end all, be all price. The estimator they sent out to value my Jeep produced a number higher than I was willing to settle, so it was all good.

Back