• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New toy!

deesiexj

NAXJA Forum User
Finally going to join the dark side! I've been in love with Comanches since I was in high school, and I am in the process of getting one. Its an '89 Sportruck, 2.5 2wd manual. The motor is trashed and will need to be replaced, which is why I'm getting it.

I'm not at all familiar with the Renix era motors, and not sure where I should be looking for a new(er) motor. Are there any significant differences between the Cherokee, Comanche, and Wrangler motors (as long as the year range is the same)?

My goal is to get it running and use it as a daily driver. I've already got 2 Cherokees that are 4.0/4wd, so I don't need another offroad truck that gets lousy mileage.

Any input or common pitfalls to avoid with these would be much appreciated!

Well, a 4.0L will do well in that truck. Keep it 2wd, stock or mild lift. Should get reasonable mileage, and have power to haul/tow vs the 2.5
What is also nice, unless swapped, it will have 4.10 gears in it since it had the 2.5L in it.

Our household has 2 different 2.5s... My 86 2 door XJ 4wd, and the stepdaughter's 91 2wd MJ... Both are are 5 speeds and sit on 31s... They both get mid-20s for mileage, do freeway speeds just fine, and do everything either one of us need to do everyday. Although, I'm planning on stepping up to 33s and an AMC V-8 with TBI in my XJ just because I want real power to merge and keep out of the way of stupid people in traffic... If I lived somewhere with substantially less people, the 2.5 in mine would be just fine for me. It has pretty low miles on it and runs great for what it is, I just personally want more gofast, and love the V-8 sound...

Back