• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Push button start and accessory switch pannel

ian.jones5557

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88xj that is strictly for wheeling. One of the reasons for push button is because I have been known to forget the key from time to time :( so that will help with that. Also I want the ability to quickly shut the rig down.

The panel replaces the compartment in front of the gear selector.

427595ee240cf010f83b00fc8ede372c.jpg

Each rocker is rated to 30 amps. It has its own fuse block with 6 fuses. Each circuit is rated to 20 amps, so I will be using a relay for the electric fan.

da95f44f3836104dd6b15d4d9d639370.jpg

The second block is for all of the grounds on the rocker switches. Wired that way I can keep it organized and only have to run one wire to the chassis.

178b571492f766a30391843f11c04c02.jpg

Tomorrow I will be wiring up the toggle and push button. Here's hoping I can locate the wires in the factory wiring harness without too much hassle.

Okay its all wired in. There are 3 wired you will need. Yellow is run. Green is starter, and orange is acc. I wired mine with crimp connectors so it can be started either with the push button or with the key. The red switch is run, the first rocker switch is accessory, and obviously the big button is the starter. I pulled power from the last 2 open spots on the fuse block. They are 30 amp fuses. The starter is a 20amp circuit. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to make the buzzer not go off with the lights on. I will just disconnect the buzzer.

Do not cut the orange wire, you must just tap into it. I don't know why but if you cut it, it will not work.

Here it is.

ec6a25462251e95a3a826b37fb2f9379.jpg

cc62e17246c66252c43ced808c5dd155.jpg

51777a1c4f630da5547a06619fbcd9aa.jpg

So instead of the stock, simplified starting procedure, youve added another step? Why?
Do you seriosly think turning the key all the way counter clockwise takes too long?

Even ricers consider this stuff poseur these days...

No it is not the inconvince of turning the key. This rig is for trail use only and spends its life on a trailer. I wanted the push button start mainly because I have forgot the key before and never want to do that again. I also like the idea of being able to easily shut it off in a hurry with the spring loaded switch.

I posted it because when I was looking to wire it up, I could not find much useful information. The ones I could find all had the starter on a stand alone system. Wired up this way you keep the residual feed that keeps your clock correct and your radio programmed but still uses push button. Not to mention of one of your rocker switches fails you still have the ability to start it with the key.

Do you seriosly think turning the key all the way counter clockwise takes too long?
He has trouble keeping track of his keys, so it is a bit hard to turn the key anti-clockwise (actually it is clockwise to start) without a key.

Assuming i remember the key I still think my push button would be more effective then turning the key counter clockwise.

I would like to know how a push button system added extra steps as well? Flip switch, push button vs. Insert key into ignition, turn key. Both works out to the same number to me.

Not the best execution, but it serves it's purpose.

I'd have put all the wiring to one main connector so when you need to remove the console you don't have to play around with the switch panel and/or remove all of those spade terminals individually.

Back