• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What next? Advice on what to do next to my XJ please

3rdgenjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey every one, new to the forum, so please forgive me if this is not an acceptable post, but I'm looking for some tips on where to go next with my dd/trail xj build. I have an 89 lardeo with a solid 4.0 in it, on a 3in zone lift and new nitro shocks. Also have 31in maxx is buckshots on 15 steelies. Courious about any suggestions on how to create a more even balance between on and off road, as of now, it looks very nice, but I feel it's lacking in off road function. Any help would be great :D:thumbup:

depends what you plan to do with it. what kind of wheeling, where, etc.

answer this: what are you trying to do with it that it is not doing well?

As far as the type of wheeling, it's a pretty even mix of rough old logging skid roads, various light jeep/off-road trails and some light mud. Don't get me wrong - I'm sure my jeep is most likely more capable than I competent at driving it- but I'd like to know some ways of getting more drop/flex put of it

Just go wheel, the Jeep, and terrain you gravitate towards, will tell you what you need next.

Some essential:
Solid front and rear tow points
High lift jack
Fire extinguisher
First aid kit

Shackle relocators in the rear aid both droop and ride quality. IMHO they are the best bang for your buck upgrade for a lifted cherokee. Beyond that, it's all about budget and what specifically you want to improve. Rocker protection, steering box bracing/ frame reenforcement, and chassis stiffeners are all things that correct specific defeciencies in the xj platform.

A lunchbox locker would help offroad and not hurt on highway.

Best mod I ever made to my Jeep was WJ brakes. Real steering and real brakes should not be under rated.

If you are doing light trails as you say then you might reconsider your assessment that the jeep you have described is lacking in capability for your intended use. You might just want to add skids, HD components, cross-members, and stiffeners as mentioned above for piece of mind.

Sliders and a front locker. Steering. Skids. Uphrade control arms and track bar to double shear. Tools and some spare parts to leave in the jeep. Frame plating. Tow points. Dual diaphragm booster. Tow strap. Extinguisher . Upgrade rear end unless it's a 44. Cut fenders. Bump up the tires to 33".

Last edited:
Back