• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ-R or MJ-R

Dark93

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 MJ Pioneer Longbed, 4.0 231 30/44 and
an 89 XJ Laredo 4.0 242 30/35.
I have been studying the XJ-R from the $2000 challenge, a Turbo modified XJ that dominated autocross competition. Modified AW4 to paddle shift etc. awesome. It was a 2wd XJ.
I am considering making a 4wd version of this for my own sick pleasure. The question is, which would be better for this application. XJ or MJ, I am truly torn. I will use the 242 tc in either case My hope is that the selectable transmission is going to work with the transfer case to hopefully get me a 6-spd selection due to lo/hi, and run full time 4wd.I say this but have not even opened that can yet.

Would like to hear thoughts on this very important matter.

Thank you for your input, you are correct. 4spd probably fine with the torque curve. Which body is optimal? XJ or MJ

That depends what you're trying to do with it.

Optimal for what? The MJ is more optimal if you want to haul hay. The XJ is more optimal if you want to haul kids. Both haul groceries.

IF it is labelled "R" all I can think of is "Rice"...pahlease...NO rice in an XJ.I spank those "Riser's" repeatedly in a 2 wheel drive 4.6 stroked 4.10 geared XJ.

Imagine it with the 4.0, they were forced to run the 4-banger to get in the compact truck race class. Sweetness. I found the D-35 on the XJ to have limited-slip. Cherry on a turd, lol, crack open that Stroh's.

Back