• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap recovery point options?

JeepNoob

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a '96 XJ Sport and in keeping with the Sport version tradition, it's pretty basic. So basic in fact, that I noticed the other day that it doesn't even have tow hooks. o_O Does anybody know if there was a model that did? I was thinkinking that fabbing up a set of D-ring shackles and welding them to the factory bumpers might work, but judging by the thickness of the metal, not for long. I'm don't want to shell out (at this point, anyways) a couple hundred bucks plus for a single bumper. I don't plan on pulling down trees with this thing, I would just like somewhere to tie into should I or someone else get stuck. Any suggestions?

A receiver hitch for the rear makes a good recovery point and you can buy tow hooks and brackets for the front. The stock bumpers are way too thin to weld anything to that will work for a recovery point...

I got sick of having a hitch hanging under my rear bumper and I dislike using the factory tow hooks. I've seen the front hooks poke holes in a brand new strap, plus its a pain in the ass getting a strap on/off with those stupid retaining tabs. I decided to cut up some 3/4" plate and weld it to the bumper. For extra holding strength, the tabs go thru the bumper skin and are welded on the backside too ;) I'm on the lookout for a stock tire carrier for the rear, it would be nice to get my cargo area back and would look nice with the other mods I think. Up front, I'd like to add a simple hoop like the JCR bumpers, maybe a pair of aux lights.

30j1kdz.jpg

35n63aq.jpg

2n1fbig.jpg

2a9ti7k.jpg

Lol. Easier said than done... a local yard that only deals with trucks only had like 3 or 4 XJ's sitting on the yard. I could check some of the other yards as well, but I doubt the pickin's would be much better. I did a bit of Google searching and found a couple options for front tow hooks and brackets. Any opinions on these? What seems to be the beefiest? I also agree that a rear tow hitch would make a good hitch point. Might lose a bit of ground clearance, but just more protection for the bumper and gas tank amirite? :D Would also be useful if I end up taking an out-of-state internship. Could just hook up a small U-haul trailer to move my crap from A to B.

Lol. Easier said than done... a local yard that only deals with trucks only had like 3 or 4 XJ's sitting on the yard. I could check some of the other yards as well, but I doubt the pickin's would be much better. I did a bit of Google searching and found a couple options for front tow hooks and brackets. Any opinions on these? What seems to be the beefiest? I also agree that a rear tow hitch would make a good hitch point. Might lose a bit of ground clearance, but just more protection for the bumper and gas tank amirite? :D Would also be useful if I end up taking an out-of-state internship. Could just hook up a small U-haul trailer to move my crap from A to B.

most all of the aftermarket tow hooks are adequate. the key is tying into more than just the 3 bumper mount holes

Foxwar, there is no way that the clevis shackle mounts being welded to the stock bumpers is going to be good for anything other than looks. The bumper itself is way too thin and weak to hold up to any kind of recovery stress at all...

Foxwar, there is no way that the clevis shackle mounts being welded to the stock bumpers is going to be good for anything other than looks. The bumper itself is way too thin and weak to hold up to any kind of recovery stress at all...

Foxwar was kidding methinks

He said that he tied into the frame with some sort of brace, kind of like stock tow hooks and aftermarket bumpers. Not sure if it is in his thread in advanced fab or another thread. But showed pics at some point.

He said that he tied into the frame with some sort of brace, kind of like stock tow hooks and aftermarket bumpers. Not sure if it is in his thread in advanced fab or another thread. But showed pics at some point.

The rear bumpers shackle mounts extended into the unibody rails along the full length of the trailer hitch bolts, just like the jcr nut strips but moar better. When I bought red jeep from Ross (fox war) I was rear ended shortly after, and spent 4 days trying to remove the bumper from the crumpled unibody rails. The thing was so lodged in there I couldnt get it out and had to junk it along with the body unfortunately.

The front bumper I ended up putting on my current jeep and love it. the 3/4 inch shackle tabs are welded to plates that slide onto the outside of the frame, and have 2 separate plates that go on the opposite side to sandwich the uniframe and on the drivers side replaces the factory steering box spacer. The shackle tabs and outside plates are tied together with 2x2 acting as the front crossmember, and the stock bumper was slid over all this as a skin to keep the factory look. When I tied the stinger in i cut holes the diamater of the tube into the skin, set the stinger down against the 2x2 an inch below the bumper skin, welded to the 2x2, as well as the skin to make it look clean as well as have some strength.

you can see how far the tie in plate goes back here, forgot to take pictures while making the stinger, but you get the idea.

Cool, I'll give them a look. Unfortunately with all the other stuff this thing needs (tires, brakes front+rear, header welded up, coolant flush, axle seals, probably wheel bearings and a million other things) it'll probably be a while before I can afford to drop money into anything else other than the stuff it needs to run and drive to my expectations. :'( Somebody else said it, but it's appropiate-Just Empty Every Pocket.

Back