• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting from 242 to 231 transfercase

Brian82

NAXJA Forum User
I just got myself into another cherokee :/ But this one has a 242 x-fer case. i have no experience with these. It won't go into 4-Low. not sure why.. I do have a spare 231 floating around. Can i swap them easily? use stock rear drive shaft with 231 from 242? Input shaft depths the same, ect ect?... spline counts?

Have you tested the T-Case engagement by shifting the Range Lever by hand from underneath ? Have you adjusted the 4x4 shift mechanism ?

What year XJ, and what year donor ? You need to consider spline count, and speedometer output type.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tested the T-Case engagement by shifting the Range Lever by hand from underneath ? Have you adjusted the 4x4 shift mechanism ?

What year XJ, and what year donor ? You need to consider spline count, and speedometer output type.

standard.jpg

Thanks for the diagram. i Have not tried to adjust the shift linkage yet. I wasn't sure it the low range was a common problem or what not. Currently i have a 99. I have a 231 out of a 98, and 01. plus a dana 300. But if i can get the 242 into low/ ill leave it for now.

Any idea if driveshaft lengths and splines are the same ?

It won't go into 4-Low. not sure why..

The transmission has to be in neutral to shift into 4-low on a 242. I'm not sure if that's true for a 231 because I've never owned one. But I'm throwing it out there just in case that is particular to a 242 and you are not aware of it.

If you want to run the 231, the rear driveline length is different. The one for the 231 is longer than the one for the 242. The 242 has the extra length with the full time differential in it adding to the length... Also check the shifter, make sure it is correct for the 242 (2 hi, 4 hi part time, 4 hi full time, neutral, 4 low) as they have an extra shift gate that the 231 doesn't have.

Later 231 and 242 have the same case length and use the same driveshaft. The 242 shift gate will work with a 231, but shift gates are easy to find and easy to swap.

Back