• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering pump interchange, 1990 XJ

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I hit a couple yards yesterday, got interchange lists that say the power steering pump is a 1990 only. What makes the 1990 pump so special?

All I can say for sure is the reservoir on the 90 looks different than the earlier Renix. The pump itself looks the same.

Is it possible that the pressure line changed or the manifold changed meaning a different offset would ultimately be needed for the pulley to line up?

I finally took the time to follow this up:
The pump with reservoir fits '90 only.
The pump without reservoir fits '88 to '90.

I bought two identical P/S pumps two years ago...one for my 88 MJ and one for my 90 XJ. Both were the whole thing, with resrevoir. Other than the pulleys being slightly different, they fit exactly the same way.

ParadiseXJ said:
I bought two identical P/S pumps two years ago...one for my 88 MJ and one for my 90 XJ. Both were the whole thing, with resrevoir. Other than the pulleys being slightly different, they fit exactly the same way.
I looked up in an old parts catalog, two different numbers for the reservoir. Good to know the older one will work in place of the newer one.

I'm ready to press the pulley back on. What is the bolt diameter and thread pitch that fits the pump shaft?

Which reservoir had the return hose nipple on the back, which had that nipple on the side?

What is the bolt diameter and thread pitch that fits the pump shaft?

A: 3/8-16

Looks like I just installed an HO pump on my RENIX. Not a first, I pulled this pump from a '90. :gee:

The bad sounds went away, no leaks under load. Tomorrow, I drive 470 miles...

Back