• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 MJ 4.0 No Spark

RedBeast

NAXJA Forum User
Hey there i have a 1989 Comanche MJ 4.0 5spd. I got the truck in poor condition and in pieces for free. I have recently rebuilt the motor (Rings and Bearings) and with all new paper gaskets except for vlave cover and oil pan and of course main seal. I have duplicates of every sensor from junkyards. And replaced damn near everything since i only got half of it from the previous owner. New fuel pump, new 4 hole injectors, short ram intake. Stainless steel manifold and exhaust. New cap and rotor on the cleanest distributor i could find. New spark plugs and wires and new battery. Soldered in a new fuse box with new fuses since the stock one had pins missing and corroded from the leaking master clutch cylinder. New clutch and slave cylinder.

I have done everything on "Cruisers tips for renixs" added all the grounds with both an additional battery ground and motor ground strap at 4gauge wire. All grounds have been cleaned, adding a strap from driver fender to radiator mount and instrument panel ground to steering column brace both added with 10 gauge wire. Cleaned the connecters on both ignition coils and slightly pushed out and cleaned the springy tabs on the control modules.

I have replaced the igntion coil and control module with a used one although im fairly certain the ones on the truck were fine. I have replaced the CPS with an autozone brand, oreilly brand, and installed currently a Napa brand all times pushing the sensor closer to the flywheel with no luck. I have pulled the CPU hoping to find it fried but it was fine and cleaner than one i pulled apart from a junkyard which happen to be fried. Still no spark and i believe no injector pulse either.

What are your thoughts on the cause of this?

There are some plugs near the steering column unplugged one is 2 prong i think for speaker left of column another 2 prong that is in a 3 wire loom and the 3rd wire goes to the CPU loom right of the column and 3rd one close to 10 prong right under column. Id like to know what these are too.

ASD relay?

I have a very loud clicking coming from my relays which i just assumed was from my seized fuel pump and i replaced it with an aftermarket carter fuel pump which is not OE style which is why i assumed it would keep doing it. What does ASD stand for and what might cause that relay to click and cause my no spark problem? I have swapped the relays around before i replaced my fuel pump checking wiring and the relays but it clicked with a swapped relay too. What do i need to check now? Follow the wiring thru the passenger door for shorts or what?

Back