• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

all ground locations....ignition switch/steering column??? ive got issues

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody

so Ive posted in OEM section but didn't get much in response so my last resort is taking a shot here.

My XJ sits quite a bit now that I don't live at home anymore. 2 weeks ago everything was great. I went home this weekend and wanted to drive it around a bit to keep it moving. Well I get in and turn the key to the last notch before it should start ( I usually do this to let the fuel pump prime and then start it). but nothing happens. no dash lights, no fuel pump whine, absolutely nothing. then my dash lights flicker,and the fuel pump primes after 3-4 seconds of me looking around wondering whats going on. well it cranks up just fine and I let it idle for a bit. I turn the selector for the windshield wipers and it immediately cuts off...what the heck??

so I figured I would repeat the process. turn the key, dash lights flicker for a bit, and then everything comes on, and I fire it up. let it run and drive it around for a minute or two and turn the windshield wiper switch. immediately cuts off.

Battery is new, and last year I installed all new battery grounds from block to battery, and from battery to fender.

I have seen mention of a few issues related to a ground under the dash being inadequate and causing people to lose their instrument cluster. but everybody who had that issue didn't have fuel pump problems, or just a 100% lack of electrical.

I am going to get a new ground strap for the block to the firewall. Could there be something going on inside the steering column? ignition switch??

any help here is appreciated.

I thought I had mentioned it but apparently hadn't
All wiring harnesses should be pretty much untouched for the most part. I have added some aftermarket electrical equipment but avoided sharing grounds/tapping into other wires

Back