• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New LED headlights, one stays on dim w/ignition on

engrboy5

NAXJA Forum User
Hoping for some help here...

I just installed new LED H4 headlamp bulbs, and they work perfectly except the Pass side stays on very dim with ignition on. When I remove the connector from the bulb, then the Drivers side lights up very dim. Replaced the headlight switch...to no avail. Any ideas?

BTW, this problem was not apparent with the old halogen bulbs (tho I think it was probably happening, just not enough to light the filament).

Thanks in advance!

Hoping for some help here...

I just installed new LED H4 headlamp bulbs, and they work perfectly except the Pass side stays on very dim with ignition on. When I remove the connector from the bulb, then the Drivers side lights up very dim. Replaced the headlight switch...to no avail. Any ideas?

BTW, this problem was not apparent with the old halogen bulbs (tho I think it was probably happening, just not enough to light the filament).

Thanks in advance!

The issue is you have floating voltage on the headlight circut, I had the same issue when I had HIDs in my rig. all you need is some resistors to put a small load on the headlight circut and you'll be good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Conversion-Anti-Flicker-Resistor-Adaptors/dp/B00FOX5WBU/

Does your XJ have Fog lamps? If yes then that is the reason they are staying on. The fog circuit relays ground through the high beam filament on the drivers side.

Does your XJ have Fog lamps? If yes then that is the reason they are staying on. The fog circuit relays ground through the high beam filament on the drivers side.

+1 Pull the factory fog light fuse and relay.

I had the same problem with my Trucklite LED Headlights

Thanks guys... No fogs tho.

I've got the resistors that sidewaysstarion suggested on order...hopefully that works.

i'd check the fuse box underhood and make sure the relay isn't there

Personally, I would check all your ground connections. A bulb lighting up when it shouldn't is a classic sign of bad grounds. The current can't get to ground through it's usual connection so it takes the path of least resistance, quite often a light bulb, whether regular or LED.

And don't just look at them, take 'em apart and clean them. The connection can look perfect but still not make a good electrical contact.

Personally, I would check all your ground connections. A bulb lighting up when it shouldn't is a classic sign of bad grounds. The current can't get to ground through it's usual connection so it takes the path of least resistance, quite often a light bulb, whether regular or LED.

And don't just look at them, take 'em apart and clean them. The connection can look perfect but still not make a good electrical contact.

Thanks for the suggestion. I cleaned the G108 grounds in the engine bay (they were quite dirty) with a dremel...didn't help a bit.

Still waiting on the resistors.

Back