PDA

View Full Version : TeraLow

dktool
October 20th, 2014, 21:45
I may have a line on a factory rebuilt (5 gear) 4-1 Teralow for a good price.
Question, would this be a good addition to my 3.55 geared 31" tires or just pissing away money and time. The labor is free (me)

I would also be adding the 2wd Low kit while I'm in there.

Opinions ......................... ???

btw, I am not a mud guy, just rocks and trails.

IdahoEagle
October 20th, 2014, 22:13
Personally, I don't think it would be a tremendous benefit for you on 31s with stock gears. 33s and larger with 4.10s and lower it definitely would help...

David_Bricker
October 20th, 2014, 23:58
Yes, if a good deal. Especially with smaller tires, where you want to go as slow as practical to ease over rocks, since you don't have the clearance that a larger tire affords.

Do bear in mind that you will be using the higher gear in the transmission more often between the slow spots. Nothing wrong with that; I find myself in 5th a number of times when in 4:1. Works just fine, although slightly noisier.

David Bricker / SYR - LAX

Demonoid369
October 21st, 2014, 00:11
Doesn't the 4:1 have a reputation for oil starvation at higher speed and cause issues?

foxwar71
October 21st, 2014, 05:59
Doesn't the 4:1 have a reputation for oil starvation at higher speed and cause issues?

This.

Having a lower low range is always nice, especially since you stay away from mud and don't always need the wheel speed. The Teralow doesnt like higher speeds and is noisy, I think they say not to exceed 3k RPMs with it in low range. And for the price of one, I'd rather have a 241OR.

David_Bricker
October 21st, 2014, 11:08
This.

Having a lower low range is always nice, especially since you stay away from mud and don't always need the wheel speed. The Teralow doesnt like higher speeds and is noisy, I think they say not to exceed 3k RPMs with it in low range. And for the price of one, I'd rather have a 241OR.

Valid points. I was thinking more specifically of the advantages of the 4:1 ratio, as opposed to the means to accomplish it. I would agree that the 241OR is absolutely the superior way to go to accomplish it.

David Bricker / SYR - LAX

99sport4.0
October 23rd, 2014, 03:32
Its hard to find a 241OR used or rebuilt. Around here they are 1400-2000 used. Crazy.

lazyxj
October 23rd, 2014, 10:42
Its hard to find a 241OR used or rebuilt. Around here they are 1400-2000 used. Crazy.

The TeraLow kit alone cost $1200-1300, a big stack of cash.
What kind of deal are you getting?

After driving a couple Rubicons, I find the 4:1 low-range too low for much other than big rocks.
If not a crawler, I would think re-gearing would make the rig more enjoyable. I found 31"s with 4.11 gears and the stock transfer case to be a good combination.
With so much of California being up or down, lower gears reduces the frequent downshifting and may improve mileage a little.

ruger81
October 23rd, 2014, 20:06
I may have a line on a factory rebuilt (5 gear) 4-1 Teralow for a good price.
Question, would this be a good addition to my 3.55 geared 31" tires or just pissing away money and time. The labor is free (me)

I would also be adding the 2wd Low kit while I'm in there.

Opinions ......................... ???

btw, I am not a mud guy, just rocks and trails.

Unless its a to good to pass up I would pass! I had one brand new lasted one trip. Sent it back bought an Atlas . the only way to go.

IdahoEagle
October 23rd, 2014, 20:30
Or get some kind of crawl box like a Klune V or Behemoth Strong Box... That's the route I want to go. I've had Suzukis and buddies have had Toyotas with stacked transfercases... They are definitely the best route to go if you have the room...

rockclimber
October 23rd, 2014, 22:23
This.

I don't understand why they say that. 3kRPM could mean a lot of different t-case speeds depending on gearing.

I know someone who ran his teralow successfully for years on 35"s and 37"s. it didn't hold up very long on 40"s

Kevin3151
October 24th, 2014, 12:47
I have one on 35s Im just trying out. so far I hate how it shifts.

I am swapping in the atlas and moving the tera low to the nearly stock jeep.

KH

VAhasnoWAVES
October 24th, 2014, 15:37
I don't understand why they say that. 3kRPM could mean a lot of different t-case speeds depending on gearing.

I know someone who ran his teralow successfully for years on 35"s and 37"s. it didn't hold up very long on 40"s

i think its because they assume that with 4:1 your only using 1 gears... first.

regardless... its an oil starvation issue that kills them. not worth the money.