• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Several Random Questions I have not found answers to.

pbiancardi

NAXJA Forum User
Need help with a few questions that I have not found definitive answers to in my research:

2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited

1. Previous owner had the cracked head issue, was replaced with PowerTorque Cylinder Head Part # 2A34 (I have receipts plus know the mechanic personally so I know for a fact this was done). Is my 0331 issue now "solved"?

2. My Jeep leans a little to the left (about 1"), I have measured from ground to body, ground to bumpers, ground to frame all with similar 1" difference. Jeep already had a lift on it when I purchased. I have read that this is a common issue that could be caused by the torque of the engine wearing out the left spring faster than the right and that it is more pronounced with a lift installed. What I haven't read is do I need to worry about this? I am using the Jeep as a winter DD, no off road. Should I take somewhere to look at immediately or is it ok to wait?

3. My Jeep (I believe) has stock remote start but it only works within about 5' of the Jeep, do I need new fob or new battery?

4. I have heard that every exhaust manifold breaks and that if it hasnt been repaired I should assume its broken? I asked my mechanic about it (can't expect mechanic to know in's and out's of every make and model) and he told me he did a smoke test and confirms no exhaust leaks, does this make sense and can I check the manifold off of my list of things to worry about or will the smoke test not reveal the problem? To me the Jeep sounds a little loud but I have never driven the 4.0 before so I have no frame of reference.

Thanks in advance for any advice / answers.

1. Yes
2. Won't matter, mine has been like that for years
3. New fob battery
4. They don't all break. Don't let your motor mounts wear out and your manifold should be just fine

I have some questions about the answers the guy above me gave.

How can you know Powertorque didnt use another bad 0331 casting? The casting numbers are the same for the 'bad' era heads and the 'good' era heads, you have to *know* that the head came from an 02+ TJ or WJ with a 4.0 to know the issue is 'solved'.

That said, the odds of two 0331 heads cracking is slim unless you overheat it alot.

Also.. factory remote start? IIRC only the grand cherokee's had that, and not until 2011..

2. My Jeep leans a little to the left (about 1"), I have measured from ground to body, ground to bumpers, ground to frame all with similar 1" difference. Jeep already had a lift on it when I purchased. I have read that this is a common issue that could be caused by the torque of the engine wearing out the left spring faster than the right and that it is more pronounced with a lift installed. What I haven't read is do I need to worry about this? I am using the Jeep as a winter DD, no off road. Should I take somewhere to look at immediately or is it ok to wait?

Google "spring wrap". More common with lifts. It's not critical, but should be addressed eventually. Just keep an eye on it to make sure no leaves break.

I have some questions about the answers the guy above me gave.

How can you know Powertorque didnt use another bad 0331 casting? The casting numbers are the same for the 'bad' era heads and the 'good' era heads, you have to *know* that the head came from an 02+ TJ or WJ with a 4.0 to know the issue is 'solved'.

That said, the odds of two 0331 heads cracking is slim unless you overheat it alot.

Also.. factory remote start? IIRC only the grand cherokee's had that, and not until 2011..

It appears to be factory key fob and has a button with an asterick which starts the car.

Something like this?

474v.jpg

1. Chances are the head issue is taken care of as long as you keep the cooling system in good condition so the head and engine don't overheat creating the possibility of it happening again.

2. Alot of jeeps lean to the left not because of the engine torque but because that's where the most weight is most often because of the driver. I've heard of some lift's that have coils that are offset to negate this after settling, if you're worried about it just have the coils swapped side to side.

3. As said I don't remember any XJ having remote start just the remote lock that was known for being crappy in earlier years, sounds like you have an aftermarket system which a new battery may or may not fix.

4. If you look closely at the manifold where the tubes meet is where they're prone to cracking. If it isn't cracked yet then make sure the motor mounts are good and maybe look into having a piece of flex pipe welded in where it crosses behind the engine.

The unlock and lock works, how would that be aftermarket?

XJs never had remote starting, only remote door locks.
You can buy replacement aftermarket FOBs that work on older cars, once programmed. Your most likely is an universal aftermarket FOB, programed to work the Jeep's remote unit.
The FOB's "start' button is inoperative.

BTW, that doesn't look like any Jeep Factory FOB, definitely aftermarket.

The remote start button does work, just need to be close to the Jeep. I ordered new batteries to see of that helps. Maybe the kit came with programmable power lock buttons....

The remote start button does work, just need to be close to the Jeep. I ordered new batteries to see of that helps. Maybe the kit came with programmable power lock buttons....
That's what you have, a remote start kit with door locks.
Something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4000RS-CAR-...RY-COMPLETE-POWER-DOOR-LOCK-KIT-/310387463393

Most of the time, when FOB batteries get weak, the range decreases, a built-in indicator of battery strength. New ones will probably restore its range.

The unlock and lock works, how would that be aftermarket?

OK. That is an Avital Remote Start system from DEI, the same company who makes Viper and Python car alarms (except that its just remote start, not an alarm).

Totally aftermarket. Totally a low battery and cheap china made remote. Probably a CR2032 battery available at any store.

1. Previous owner had the cracked head issue, was replaced with PowerTorque Cylinder Head Part # 2A34 (I have receipts plus know the mechanic personally so I know for a fact this was done). Is my 0331 issue now "solved"?
From a brief search the PowerTorque head looks like a rebuilt stock head and not the new improved casting. You may still have a crack prone head. If it is a rebuilt head, look under the valve cover between cylinder #3 and #4 and see if there is a cast "TUPY". You may be able to see it through the oil fill hole. If it does have it it is the later casting that doesn't crack.

I didn't know that talyn.

you're a fountain of good information that i actually find relevant. :)

Here is another random question, see picture, this area appears to be leaking (thought it was windshield but it appears sealed while air blows right out this area on both sides). What should I use to seal this up?

As for the head, basically I just have to be careful and not overheat correct? Along with the head it has new fans, radiator, hoses, so I am guessing I should be ok.

free photo upload

Last edited:
I am nowhere near an expert but that looks like a crack in the A pillar, which is part of the structure of the XJ unibody. If so that's a bad thing. Could be totally wrong though.

Not without looking at it closer. Kinda just looks like a chip in the paint from here.

Back