• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Defrost door with open holes in it?

XJLegg

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys. First post so bare with me. After searching this site and countless others, I can't seem to find anybody with my problem. I have a 2001 XJ Sport. The A/C and heater work great. All of the vents work good except I am getting some medium leakage out of the right side of the defrost vent when the controls are set to vent or floor. I have confirmed very good vacuum pressure and also confirmed that all vent doors/flaps do work correctly. I have noticed alot of small pieces of foam coming out of the vents. Also I can push back on the defrost tube wall to see the defrost door opening and closing properly. BUT there are 2 holes on the defrost side and the demist side of the door. 2 perfectly cut holes that are leaking the air up through the defrost vents. The hole on the demist side is larger that the defrost side. Ive looked for pictures that showed what the door suppose to look like with no luck. I am wondering if the door had a layer of foam on the bottom side of it covering these holes at one time and now has fallen off? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Wondering if I can plug them holes with something without having to take the dash out. Picture below....

Clink link for picture:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8j53mqChFkObkhsdTd4VFg4WlJCQkZQckxTNzYzcU1uei1N/view?usp=sharing

One might suppose that all late model XJ's are like that. What issue specifically are you trying to solve ?

Thanks for the reply. I am getting a huge amount of air coming out of the defrost vent when I have vent or floor selected. To the point where it fogs up my windshield. I have confirmed that the actuators are working properly with good vacuum. And the defrost door is closing all the way shut. The air is traveling through the holes. Just trying to find a fix or maybe someone would know if there was something plugging these holes originally. I have had a lot of pieces of foam coming out of my vents since I purchased the Jeep 3 months ago. Wondering if the defrost door had a layer of foam on it blocking the air and now it's gone? Makes no sense to me. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

My old Caprice used to fog up the windshield on hot muggy nights, I suppose you get lots of those in Mississippi. Myself, I wouldn't worry about it. I do have a complete heater box assembly in storage, it wouldn't be too hard to drag it out and look inside.

The defrost flapper door has a soft rubber gasket. The only foam is the seals you see, and the blower motor seal.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. That looks just like mine. Just doesn't make sense why so much air is coming through the holes in the defrost door. I am wondering if a different door is not closing or opening correctly causing the air to flow more to the defrost. Regardless, I may have to deal with it until I can get the dash taken out. Thanks again for the info.

Do whatever you think needs be done, but I wouldn't fix something that isn't broken.

I worked for a company that made the Chrysler HVAC units in Dayton. Getting the foam seals to adhere was always a problem. This would cause whistling noises and warranty issues. So what happens after more than ten years of hot and cold. I'd just live with it and be glad that you don't have a broken door.

Back