• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 Xj 4.0 5speed Tranny seems to be running hot?

lance9187

NAXJA Forum User
I do a lot of mild to steep grade dirt roads up hills or mountain dirt roads to get to areas I like to mess around with crawling and it doesn't struggle seems to do just fine, But when I get to my spots I notice my shifter stick is really hot to the touch to where I can barley touch to metal 4" below top shifter. So I usually wait it out for a bit to let it cool down... Any after market trans coolers or thoughts to fix it anyone know of?:smoker:

Not to overstate the obvious, but have you checked the fluid level?

What I perceived to be a rear main seal leak, turned out to be a manual transmission seal leak. I toasted my 5 spd really nicely. Low oil caused the tranny to grenade, but I was able to limp home in 4th gear. No other gears worked.

My shifter exhibited similar symptoms, but it never really got hot to the touch.

have you checked the lower shift boot for cracks? Could be letting hot air in from under the Jeep. My 94 had a broken one and the console got pretty toasty

There's no pump in a manual tranny, so no hoses, so no cooler...

Best way to keep a manual trans from getting hot is to have nice fresh oil in it.

Back