• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone used Rocky road outfitter cad

Control arm drop brakes by rock road outfitter. Anyone using them. Stumbled across there Web site.

FWIW, In ten years here, I have never seen a good word about Rocky Road.

R.E. make a fine dropped bracket, make sure to get the rear braces.
You can often pick them up used in your local Chapter when someone upgrades to long arms or a three link. They don't wear out.

Rough Country has a bad reputation. FWIW, I really like the track bar I bought from them. The TRE it shipped with was junk, but slap a Moog on there and the part's fit, finish & performance are awesome.

A friend of mine, who is local I believe has the RRO CAD brackets. Their setup for the particular item looks better than the RC for sure.
I prefer mid/long arms, myself.

I run the RRO drop brackets. I peronally found their design superior to all drop brackets that I could find. Their customer service is crap, and I wouldnt believe the BS they put on thier site about all of their products being Gods gift to the wheeling world. I did order and return the Rough Country DBs ( inferior design on the UCA mount and rear brace) before going with the RRO. Rough Country did have great cusomer support, but in this case it does not make up for engineering. If you call RRO and ask them they will send you a PDF of the install instructions, that will let you see the difference between them and the similar Rubicon Express. That said, I chose short arms and DBs because of my terrain (Louisiana) and wheeling style, in California long arms might be better suited for your terrain. To do drop brackets and shorts the right way cost as much as some popular radial arm sets. I'm happy with my RRO DBs, but I also didnt expect tech support from the guys that answer the phones at RRO. The build quality and design is very nice. I dont regret them one bit, I however try not to purchace anything from them that I dont have to due to their lack of cutomer support. I can see saying that their compay is garbage due to support and attitude, but I doubt anyone acutally comparing this products build and design to others would call it garbage. I made a theoretical "deal with the devil" to insure that I had ( what I felt was ) the best product for my intended purpose.

I run the RRO drop brackets. I peronally found their design superior to all drop brackets that I could find. Their customer service is crap, and I wouldnt believe the BS they put on thier site about all of their products being Gods gift to the wheeling world. I did order and return the Rough Country DBs ( inferior design on the UCA mount and rear brace) before going with the RRO. Rough Country did have great cusomer support, but in this case it does not make up for engineering. If you call RRO and ask them they will send you a PDF of the install instructions, that will let you see the difference between them and the similar Rubicon Express. That said, I chose short arms and DBs because of my terrain (Louisiana) and wheeling style, in California long arms might be better suited for your terrain. To do drop brackets and shorts the right way cost as much as some popular radial arm sets. I'm happy with my RRO DBs, but I also didnt expect tech support from the guys that answer the phones at RRO. The build quality and design is very nice. I dont regret them one bit, I however try not to purchace anything from them that I dont have to due to their lack of cutomer support. I can see saying that their compay is garbage due to support and attitude, but I doubt anyone acutally comparing this products build and design to others would call it garbage. I made a theoretical "deal with the devil" to insure that I had ( what I felt was ) the best product for my intended purpose.

Why go through the potential for terrible customer service on a relatively untested product when you can buy essentially the same thing,RE, and get a known good product?

Why go through the potential for terrible customer service on a relatively untested product when you can buy essentially the same thing,RE, and get a known good product?

Because the rubicon express DB is not essentially the same thing. They use totally different methods of mounting the UCA. I personally much prefer the RRO. Im not too high on rubicon express quality, or marketing decisions either ( they shouldnt sell that DB without the brace, its asking to have the factory bracket ripped from the uni ). There are a ton of options availible for the xj, in my opinion the best thing to do is get a set of instructions from each company and weigh your options.

( they shouldnt sell that DB without the brace, its asking to have the factory bracket ripped from the uni ). .

There are a lot of us who have run the R.E. DBs for years (almost ten in case) with zero problems. It's beefy and doesn't move or loosen.

You need to get your facts straight.
Reading RE's online installation instructions, they indicate the dropped bracket kit can be used on both XJs and MJs.
The instructions also tell you to use the frame braces on XJs only, since the MJ frames are different and do not use the brace.
That's why RE's DB brace does not come with the kit and is available separately. RTFM

If you go ahead and order from RR, let us know how long it takes to get you complete order. It would be interesting to see if their customer service has improved any.

Lazyxj I dont see how I have my facts mixed up ??? I just gave my opinion, and stated that getting all the instructions together and making an informed decision is best. In my OPINION better designed kits have a brace just for the MJ uni, but my opinion is just that an opinion. I am in no way trying to bash anything that someone else has or likes. I guess I should have known better than to make that RE statement, from now own Ill attempt to keep my opinions to myself. Thats said, it took me just over 2 weeks to get my complete kit. Im no RRO fan, I just believe they hit it out of the park with that design.

RE and RC drop brackets really do need the braces. RE braces are a better design because they use the transmission crossmember bolts. RRO brackets are a good design.

With the RC/RE braces installed, there is little to no difference between any of the three.

RC and RE customer service is better than RRO.

Lazyxj I dont see how I have my facts mixed up ??? I just gave my opinion, and stated that getting all the instructions together and making an informed decision is best. .

Not saying the RRO DBs are bad or good. You were bashing RE for not including the braces, when the DBs also fit the MJ, which doesn't use the braces.
Im not too high on rubicon express quality, or marketing decisions either (they shouldn't' sell that DB without the brace, its asking to have the factory bracket ripped from the uni )..
The braces are an accessory needed when DBs are used on an XJ.
The need for the braces is plainly stated on RE's online installation instructions and sales literature. From their site.
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/Control-Arm-Drop-Brackets.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=101&t_pt=6913&t_pn=R%2fERE9900
"Cherokee control arm relocation brackets are used to relocate the upper and lower control arms approximately 3" lower and 1/2" forward of their factory position.
The reduction in control arm angle improves the lifted ride and handling substantially. We recommend they be used in conjunction with the RE9905 support brackets on XJ model Cherokees."

Found the same information online at RE's site many ears ago, when I bought the DBs, and just now, verifying the same.

I have no great love for RE either, having an set of their leaf springs collapse within a couple years of easy DD usage.
Might have had something to do with the "Made in India" stencil on each pack. Recycled Tatas.

The braces really should be used on an MJ too.

If you peel off that outer layer of lca gusset on an MJ, it has the exact same mount as an XJ and the brace bolts right up

I bought the Rocky road outfitters drop bracket kit. I received them with in a week of my order. They were easy to install. The quality look better than the R.E that I installed on my buddies XJ. The ride quality improved substantially over just having short arms at a steep angle. The flex is improved also. As for the drop brackets hanging down is not a problem. If you take a rod on the plane of the arms there on the same plane as a long arm.
Just my experience.

it doesn't hang down any lower than a long arm.

Back