• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring difference

scoutmstr

NAXJA Forum User
Recently got a '01 and want to find out how to tell which spring rating is. I have been able to find out there were three different load rating of springs and their part number but how do I tell which I have?

Contact Jeep and get the build sheet for your Jeep. The build sheet will show all the installed options. Why does the spring rate matter ?

Contact Jeep and get the build sheet for your Jeep. The build sheet will show all the installed options. Why does the spring rate matter ?

Spring rating determines ride quality/stiffness. Since this is not my hard core wheeler I want relative softness in ride for other half.

Unless you are talking about dumptruck level spring rates, the shocks have greater effect on ride quality/stiffness than does the spring rate. My UpCountry equipped XJ did not ride much different the 5 non-UpCountry XJ's I have owned.

I removed and sold some 3 month old shocks on the same UpCountry equipped XJ, because they were too stiff/bouncy on pavement and too loose on the 4x4 trails. The replacement shocks were smooth and controlled both on pavement and off.

exactly what Tim said, the shock is there to damnpen the spring, it has more to do with the ride on a daily driver.

I appreciate the answers. The shocks on the XJ do look oversized and are white colored about 2 or 2 1/2 dia. I believe they are OEM shocks since this was a state gov vehicle for DOT. Is there a way I can tell which shocks?

I appreciate the answers. The shocks on the XJ do look oversized and are white colored about 2 or 2 1/2 dia. I believe they are OEM shocks since this was a state gov vehicle for DOT. Is there a way I can tell which shocks?

Unless there are part numbers stamped on the shock it would be difficult to determine.

You can measure the shock height open and closed, and the diameter of the shaft and body.

Some shocks specifications will have an extended length, compresses length and the stroke length.

Try to determine the shock type such as mono-tube or twin tube.

There are other shock specifications such as for the initial force required to compress a shock and the rebound force and time it takes to extend a shock.

Shocks can be compared while on a vehicle or by just compressing and extending a shock by hand and approximating the force and rebound time.

Shocks for specific suspension packages can become more expensive than aftermarkets and oe stock, running a couple hundred dollars or more each. Smaller SUVs, trucks, etc. back in the 1980s, a set OE custom shocks could run around $800.00 +/- for a set. I'm not sure what a set of custom shocks run today.

To learn more about a vehicle, I would first find a build sheet (would have more details about the vehicle, such as options, type of build, e.g. government, etc.)

Then find an oem parts manual for the vehicle year plus other similar years Jeep parts manuals for accessories, add-on packages, etc. might turn up a few Mopar part numbers.

Here's a few part numbers for an O1.

SHOCK ABSORBER, Suspension, Rear
52087 777AF 2 [SDA]
52087 948AD 2 [SDB]
4886 509AG 2 J, U SHOCK ABSORBER PACKAGE,suspension, [SDU]

SDA=Normal Duty Suspension
SDB=Heavy Duty

SDU=High Pressure Gas Shocks- -Check VIN Number for The Type of ‘Z‘ Code Springs are on The Truck

SPRING, Rear Leaf
52000 050AB 1 [ZFS,ZUS]
52000 051AB 1 [ZFT,ZUT]
52000 707AB 1 [ZGU,ZVU]
52000 706AB 1 [ZFU,ZUU]
52000 544AB 1 [ZGS,ZVS]
52000 545AB 1 [ZGT,ZVT]
52002 390AB 1 [ZGV,ZVV]
52002 392AB 1 [ZGW,ZVW]

Last edited:
JEEP OEM shocks were black. Generic one size fit many white shocks can be from just about anybody, and vary greatly in their specs.

Doetsch shocks are white, but they are valved specifically for each vehicle. I have had two set of DT-3000 on my XJ, and will buy them again. http://doetsch-shocks.com/2.asp . Bilstein 4600 shocks have great control and a smooth pavement ride on a Cherokee.

Last edited:
Back