• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low oil pressure

Smokin3ma

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everybody, I'm new to the site but need your help. I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee with the 4 L straight 6 in it with 195,000km on it and it is showing it has low oil pressure, this has been getting gradually worse over the last week or 2, today while driving home the oil pressure was lower than normal, and when coming to a stop at the lights the oil pressure almost went to zero and brought the engine light on. I'm a mechanic and have checked a couple of things but I'm having no luck. So to start with it has oil in it and the engine is running perfectly apart from the oil pressure, 14v from the alternator and normal water temperature. Do the 4L inline 6's have issues with the oil pumps or oil pressure sensors at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx Peter

oil pressure sendings fail regularly and sometimes the gauge goes bad.

check with a mechanical gauge.

dealer sending units work best.

Replace your sending unit. As well, to check the oil pressure gauge you'll press and hold the trip reset/odometer button whilst turning the ignition key to on or start. This will cycle the gauges in the instrument cluster thru their normal operating ranges.

Use a mechanical gauge to confirm your oil pressure also.

Back