• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 4.0 into a 99 everything else?

jhc7399

NAXJA Forum User
Having a 96 4.0 rebuilt to put into my 99 sport XJ. I posted here awhile back and everyone said it bolts right up.

My question is do I need to know anything else? I will be putting the 99 intake and everything else connected to it on the 96. Is there anything that is not going to work and needs to be from a 96 and not 99? All sensors from 99 ok?

Thanks

Early 96's have the older style connectors and Late 96's have connectors like the 97-02s. Figure out what yours has then determine whether to use the 99's sensors or swap over the 96's sensors&tb to the 99 block&intake. My 1/96 has the early style. Always fun getting the right parts at the store. . .

Last edited:
Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

So I have been cross refrencing part numbers and I noticed that most of the parts that are different are the sensors. I am guessing what gradon said is the issue, different plugs. So will my 99 sensors/electrical system have any issues with the 96 engine? I would think a sensor is a sensor, all it does is senses and tells the ecm what it is sensing correct?

The distributor is different as well. Any idea why that would be?

Re-use, the necessary 1999 parts from the original engine. The Jeep does not know or care when the engine block was made, but it does care about having the correct sensors, distributor, or other parts.

Back