• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting a Tow Bar

BogdanR

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I would like to tow my 96 XJ behind my RV. I want to use Harbor Frait or equivalent Tow Bar. To mount the Tow Bar I want to use the commonly avaliable tow hook mounts, like these:

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...ok-kit-xj.html

However, I can not find any adapters that will bolt to those hook brackets and would work with a tow bar. My budget for the project is about $200, so can you guys recommend either adapters that will bolt to the tow hook brackets or another setup that will allow me to tow the jeep without braking the bank. The baseplates that I have seen from roadmaster, etc, are $300+. If I had that much money to spend, I would just get a nice winch bumper instead.

Hi all,

I would like to tow my 96 XJ behind my RV. I want to use Harbor Frait or equivalent Tow Bar. To mount the Tow Bar I want to use the commonly avaliable tow hook mounts, like these:

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...ok-kit-xj.html

However, I can not find any adapters that will bolt to those hook brackets and would work with a tow bar. My budget for the project is about $200, so can you guys recommend either adapters that will bolt to the tow hook brackets or another setup that will allow me to tow the jeep without braking the bank. The baseplates that I have seen from roadmaster, etc, are $300+. If I had that much money to spend, I would just get a nice winch bumper instead.

Your link is broken.

What type of tow bar are you looking at? I have owned and installed various types including base plates.

You might be able to fab your own from some heavy duty angle iron and/or plate ... mounted to front bumper support of the sub-frame.

Are you trying to install for a few short tows or something more permanent?

I wouldn't waste money on tow hook supports for a toad. They're not designed for tow bars and highway towing, where there are other forces involved.

Last edited:
I have flat towed our 2001 XJ over 60,000 miles behind a motorhome.
The tow bar and baseplate take a heck of a beating, especially on today's screwed up roads. Towing on dirt roads is even worse. Baseplates need to be as strong as a good winch bumper.
Take a look at Roadmaster or Blue Ox's website for XJ baseplates and find the installation instructions for detailed drawings of how their baseplates are constructed and secured to the Jeep's frame.

Another thing to consider is California's (and most other states) plus the auto manufacturers all require any towed vehicle weighing over 1500-lbs to have a tow brake system.
There is no cheap way to do this.
Have an accident without a tow brake, prepared to have the lawyers tear you apart. There is no defense.
Might be better to find a flatbed trailer with surge brakes

There is no cheap way to do this.

ESPECIALLY with Harbor Freight parts. Although they may carry a warranty, they are cheap because they are cheaply made knockoffs that lure you in with a super cheap price and the warranty does not cover subsequent damage...like a ripped out bumper, a @$#%ed up RV or an innocent family cruising down the road on vacation to Wally World.

Back