• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help from advanced fab guys

rkates

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of swapping 60's in the jeep, it's currently setup for a 3 link but want to switch to a triangulated 4 link. Here's the issue I'm seeing. I don't want full hydro steering. I'm setup with assist and want to keep it that way.

Can this be done without serious issues with the steering?(bump steer)

I have seen it done. Is it right? Not in my opinion. If the drag link is flat (horizontal) at ride height then you may be ok. Just keep your thumbs out of the center of the steering wheel. Maybe a non triangulated four link and keep your track bar?

Both of these rigs are triangulated four link front with drag links...

either go full hydro or keep the 3 link with a tb

What do you have against the 3 link? I don't think I'd ever go back to a 4 link front now, definitely not with traditional steering linkage either.

I'd love to go to a double triangulated 4 link front, but not with the packaging issues that come along with it in an XJ. It's really tough to keep the thing low and not shove the axle over 12" forward.

That being said, if you keep the draglink flat at ride height you might be able to get away with it if you keep total travel limited.

I have nothing against the 3 link. Love it, works very well on my jeep when I originally built with 44's I was in the air between the two. I went with the 3 link for simplicity and how much Ive read it worked. I just figured sinse I'm building again I might as well look into it again. The more I look into it the more it seems like I'm wasting my time and just need to get this back together before the cold comes.

Thanks for the comments

I'm also in the boat with 4 link + full hydro or don't bother. not sure if you saw the XJ that Ian from Xtreme built but he seems to have gotten away with a single triangulated upper and it totally clears the oil pan. haven't watched the episode yet but the pics look great. not sure if that works perfect or not but he did it
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/xtreme-offroad-xj-build-2054305/index4.html#post24190402

I love my 3 link it handles amazing. I hate my panhard with the coil springs though it pulls my axle way over at full droop. even though it's not really noticeable off/on road, just bugs me

These are that build ian did. Triangulated uppers. Full hydro. Trail rig only. He fully boxed the entire frame.

Mockup
e2yturam.jpg

Finished
ysajatyn.jpg

Friend of mine did front double triangulated he trailers it but still drives it on the street and the only think he noticed was it has bump steer on the street he has hyrdo assis not full hyrdo ...so he just made a mount for a track bar for street driving he removes for trail . I don't see what folks are saying about front double triangulated in this thread to be true based on what I've see on ...real life...set ups in action as opposed to bench racing session on the internet . The packaging issue is the only thing i see holding true in this thread and my friends has an unkown amount of lift ,but it's tall so fitting the upper arms under the oil pan was easy ...lol...it has so much lift he has a 111 inch wheelbase and the gas tank is still in the stock location with a d60 out back .

i would not do it without going full hydro. if you have any sort of travel up front you are going to have issues.

Back