• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What OME front shock part # to use with Bar Pan Eliminator?

Orson_Yancey

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have a 1988 XJ Pioneer. I am replacing the front shocks with Old Man Emu's. I need/want to installed Bar Pin Elminators (BPE). The shocks that OME suggests are N35 which have the bar pin, (As part of the 2" to 3" lift kit). What OME front shock part number shall I purchase that has the eye on the bottom? To use with bar pin eliminators?
From searching around a bit, OME N33 or N39 show-up.
I plan to run a standard lift for awhile, then later go to a " to 3" lift, hoping to continue to use the same shocks.
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

JK OME shocks..
Otherwise, press out the bar to to use the BPE.

Am a little fuzzy as per memory recall as per your slight modification.., but I'd go to the arbusa.com web site, and obtain the contact telephone number. Some of the fellers there have XJ's, and are quite knowledgeable as per your question.., well.., they were the last time I talked to them several years ago, lol.

You are aware that you will probably have to do the SYE modification, and perhaps the necessary different length propeller shaft to go up 3"--4" and up right? I could only go up to the 2" lift for the RENIX, or I would have to do the SYE mod. Thats what.., $600 bucks for the kit, and extra for however you obtain a proper length shaft.., whether you cut, and weld one, or purchase one already done.., as best as I can recall. The latter approaches a grand in cost for the extra inch, and beyond for our RENIX vehicles in order to run on 31 inch tires, and above.

BTW: I went with Hankook Dynapro MT tires as they are really a good mud tire, fairly quite on the highway, but not much else, (google for the Mud Tire Shoot Out), and they are available at 30". Good Year Wrangler Kevlar types is what I really wanted, but they are not available at the smaller 30" size. With something like the JKS front sway bar disconnects, and removing the rear stabilizer, with 30" tires you will have a good all-around set-up for most simple off-roading, easier to get in, and out of, and well balanced for a generally top heavy vehicle, especially when utilizing cargo rack. RENIX Brakes suck, so take that into consideration when deciding the type of foot print each tire provides overall.

With Old Man Emu shocks, (all around), I can report outstanding performance so far on pot holed asphalt, dirt, as well as corduroy dirt, and major ruts, whether in dirt, mud, or ice. Me.., I'd rather build up with the 1999 model, (easier to find parts too), as it seems to have good reviews, and less cost to mod., imho. Well that's really a 'relative thing', 'eh? :soapbox:

There is a pdf catalogue, OME Guide, from the ARB site that lists lift kits with part numbers and specifications, including shocks.

However I would just call or email ARB tech support, explain to them your custom install and future lift. Their technical support should be able to provide the necessary part number(s).

Last edited:
I used the OME shocks for the XJ application. I just hammered out the bar pins with some concrete, a punch, and a small sledge hammer and replaced with the BPE kit I bought online - can't remember the manufacturer right now.

One thing I still need to do is buy nylon or brass washers and put it next to the shocks over the through bolts. My BPE kit had a little slack between the shocks and the mounts so they make noise on bumpy sections, particularly in the winter when all the clearances shrink. But otherwise everything functions fine, and it's an easy fix, just need to get to it. I tried hose washers the first time around which worked until they dried out and fell off.

Re: What OME front shock part # to use with Bar Pin Eliminator?

I used the OME shocks for the XJ application. I just hammered out the bar pins with some concrete, a punch, and a small sledge hammer and replaced with the BPE kit I bought online - can't remember the manufacturer right now.

One thing I still need to do is buy nylon or brass washers and put it next to the shocks over the through bolts. My BPE kit had a little slack between the shocks and the mounts so they make noise on bumpy sections, particularly in the winter when all the clearances shrink. But otherwise everything functions fine, and it's an easy fix, just need to get to it. I tried hose washers the first time around which worked until they dried out and fell off.

Yes, I am thinking of purchasing the BPE kit from Rocky Road Outfitters.
I like the BPE kit from RRO because it is built stout and the axis of the pin crosses the small bolts which hold the BPE bracket, same orientation as the OEM bar pin through the shock eye. Some BPE kits rotate 90* the shock eye and shaft -- not good especially for the rear shocks.

Why don't you just use the "Bar Pin Eliminators" that come stock on the XJ? Take off the rear sway bar and use the mounting brackets from that as your BPE on the front axle. Go with some JK Rubicon or JK X model shocks. Go to your local 4WP or other off-road shop and ask the sales manager if they have any stock shocks that were taken off of a JK when they did a lift kit on it. That is what I did and got a set of 4 with less than 100 miles on them for $20.

Back