• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rockhard cage, spare tire.. where

Desert4x4

NAXJA Forum User
So, for those of you who got the rockhard cage and still have a 30"ish spare, where did you put it?

It looks like it could be mounted close to the stock location, just about 6 inches away from the side of the car. I could do roof also. People claim huge mpg losses with a spare on the roof, though I am skeptical that it's a huge loss.

Tire carrier?

I used to carry the spare up top. I don't think I ever noticed any MPG difference. Come to think of it, I might put mine back on the roof. Just make sure whatever you mount it to is sturdy enough to take the weight bouncing around on it.

lay it flat in the cargo space and build another deck over it?

roof will hurt mpg, most noticeably on the highway. ive been in situations where i could lift a tire off of the ground just by grabbing the bumper. even though it doesnt seem like a lot, putting the tire on the roof really hurts your center of gravity. i also had a tire carrier but removed it because it was too low and drug on steep obstacles even with a 31. lastly... i payed ~$250 a tire, im not going to put it on the roof of my vehicle to sun damage a brand new tire.

i put my 35 inside, seat folded down.

30" will fit in lots of places..... lol

I've run 35&36" at about a 45* angle in the cargo area, basically just resting on the top of the back seat. Kinda kills the cargo area but much better than hanging off the back bumper or up on the roof....

Back