• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idler Pulley or PS pump going bad?

Jonner

NAXJA Forum User
I started hearing some noise coming from the engine bay 2 days ago. It sounds like it's coming from the belt area. I noticed a slight squeak, very quiet in rhythm with the engine turning. Also some "garbly" noises coming from that area - that's the best way I can describe it. There is a slight almost catch and release kind of action going on with the belt when I'm focusing my attention between the idler pulley and PS pump.

I took a long screwdriver as a stethoscope and am hearing noise coming from the idler pulley area and the PS pump. I'm having trouble figuring out if it's coming from the PS pump or idler pulley. Any tell tale signs by sound?

I can't work on the Jeep in the apartment complex I live in and my budget is tight, so I'd like to check the local parts stores by phone for parts without disassembling if I can help it. I have NO GARAGE and BASIC TOOLS.

Notes:
Alternator has less than 10,000 miles.
Harmonic balancer is a Powerbond and is less than 1000 miles old.
Using the stethoscope method, the alternator, water pump, and harmonic balancer sound quiet.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Jonathan

Soapy water in a spray bottle on the belt can help narrow down belt/pulley noise.

Most every time I have a water pump going out and it starts to seep from the weep hole behind the pulley, I get a chirp in my belt. It can seep behind the pulley and be really hard to see, but it sprays onto the belt.

Forgot to mention, engine is a fresh rebuild with less than 1000 miles. The water pump is a NAPA unit and was installed with new with the engine.

I'm looking at parts and does anyone have experience with the idler pulley part differences? I'm looking at NAPA's website and they have a stationary and adjustable idler pulley:

NBH 38042 - Adjustable - $22.95
10 mm bushing
OD 90mm (=3.5433in)
Width 30mm

NBH 38043 - Stationary - $14.85
10 mm bushing
OD 76mm (=2.992in)
Width 30mm

TEM 209766 - Stationary - $17.10
3" Diameter

TEM 409155 - Adjustable - $19.80
3.5" Diameter

Remove and replace your idler pulley wheel. Most NAPA stores have a machine shop that could help you with replacing the bearing with in it.

Nevermind, I took the belt off and the idler feels smooth when turning. The PS pump on the other hand, feels like it has metal rubbing on metal with marbles in it.

Quick Question...

Does the pulley have a bearing in it?

Or should I be confident that the PS pump needs replaced and I just need to use a puller to move the pulley over to the new PS pump?

No bearing, the pulley is pressed on to the shaft of the pump. So, yes press off the pulley and press it on the new pump.

Thanks, making phone calls now for the puller and PS pump - going to get the one with the reservoir so I don't have to deal with that (don't have a lot of time).

Thanks a lot! I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, most local parts stores "rent" their tool kits. You basically pay for it, and return it for a refund.

Thanks Johnnie, Mechbullxj, and 8Mud for the tips and advice.

Napa had the pump w/reservoir and tool with their bucket sale with 20% off anything I could fit in it, woo hoo. The puller easily pulled off the pulley and came with an install tool. Once the pulley was off, it was obvious the shaft had side to side play and the pump was indeed making some awful metallic noises spinning it by hand.

I'll get it all buttoned up tomorrow. Thanks again

I recall reading a technique for replacing power steering fluid. You'll want to raise the front wheels off the ground, and when adding your steering gear oil, cycle the steering wheel full right and left several times, ergo removing air from the gearbox. I'm using automatic transmission fluid as gear oil. ATF works. Be safe.

Follow-up and kind of write-up for anyone else that hasn't had this issue yet...

I had replaced the steering box with the Durango V8 box a few months ago, and replaced the lines at the same time (had to cut them and replace prior). I had no trouble with any of the flare nuts on the lines since everything was anti-seized when it went back on. The air box was removed to make access easier to the back of the reservoir.

I picked up the NAPA PS pump w/reservoir and also loaned their puller tool. The puller tool made it easy to remove the pulley. I saved and rinsed a gallon milk container to catch fluid after I disconnected the lines. After the reservoir was mostly empty, I unbolted the 3 bolts and swung the PS pump out of the idler/PS pump bracket.

The new PS pump went back in. I used the puller tool to reinstall the pulley onto the new PS pump. I reattached the lines, filled the reservoir with Mopar PS fluid, and tightened down the 3 mounting bolts to the intake manifold. Then I rerouted the belt back onto the pulleys, adjusted the idler pulley adjustment bolt, and tightened the idler pulley center bolt.

Next, I jacked up front of the Jeep while the reservoir cap was off and filled to the "H" mark on the dipstick. I started the Jeep, listening for screeching/loud whining from which there was none, and began turning the wheel side to side about 5 or 6 times. Then with the engine still running, I checked the dipstick tube. I added another 1 to 2 cups of fluid to bring it back up to the "H". I looked for bubbles/foam, but the fluid looked good with no bubbles.

I shut the Jeep off, checked over the bolts to make sure everything was tight. Then started one more time and repeated the steering wheel side-to-side and checked the fluid levels again. Everything looked good.

SIDENOTE: When I first had the problem I commented I couldn't tell if the noise was coming from the idler pulley or the PS pump. After replacing the PS pump, its whisper quiet when I put a screwdriver between it and my ear. When I do that with the idler now, it is still noisy (noise I thought was partially coming from the PS pump/partially from the idler), so I think my idler will need to be replaced soon.

I'm going to pick up a spare idler pulley, and carry a wratchet with 15 mm deep socket and 15 mm shallow socket in case it starts getting bad fast.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I hope this helps out someone else!

Back