• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best adjustable track bar?

Draven1474

NAXJA Forum User
I need a new track bar for my cherokee, i have seen alot of bars on the market but not sure which one i should go with, i really like the idea of double shear track bars but only lifted at 3'' would this give me bump steer or clearance issues? what bar would you recommend?

At 3" I would buy the Rough Country TRE style track bar.
I'm at 2.5" and could not, no way no how, make a double shear bar work. First, there's the fact that almost all of them are too long - much too long - for a 2.5 - 3" lift.
Second, the factory bar has a big bend in it to clear the diff cover. Almost no after market bars have any bend to accomodate the diff cover - but the Rough Country bar does. The IRO double shear bar I was trying to make work? Yeah... there are scars on my diff cover and on the bar to say "Nope"
I can't say much for the quality of joint that RC ships their bar with but the bends & overall design I'm very happy with. Plan on maybe / probably buying a Moog tie rod end to replace the one the ship with.

Core 4x4 Fabrication out of Orem builds a very nice double shear adjustable trackbar that works down to stock height and uses a Currie Johnie Joint. I'll post a picture this evening after mine shows...

Rusty's sells an adjustable track bar that fits the stock mount up to 5" lift for around $130. They also sell a combo track bar/double shear mount for $190. If you will look on the first pic you can see where I cut the corner of the coil bucket under the mount. This is what I did to run a DS mount on a 3" lift. I went to 4" later so now it does not mater

Last edited:
I would not true tmy life with Rustys track bars or Rough country. I would go kevins off road, JKS, RE, or something of similar quality. Go double shear

Iron rock offroad double shear.

I stand by my suggestion of Core...
c03dc4bd9914bcdc8dae1831123a7c2a.jpg
b7c7dfec0f8d7e4b39442c3f5c0d9612.jpg

At 3" I would buy the Rough Country TRE style track bar.
I'm at 2.5" and could not, no way no how, make a double shear bar work. First, there's the fact that almost all of them are too long - much too long - for a 2.5 - 3" lift.
Second, the factory bar has a big bend in it to clear the diff cover. Almost no after market bars have any bend to accomodate the diff cover - but the Rough Country bar does. The IRO double shear bar I was trying to make work? Yeah... there are scars on my diff cover and on the bar to say "Nope"
I can't say much for the quality of joint that RC ships their bar with but the bends & overall design I'm very happy with. Plan on maybe / probably buying a Moog tie rod end to replace the one the ship with.

I currently have the rough country bar, both ends are junk and sloppy after only 1 year of use. didn't know "rebuilding"was a option!

I currently have the rough country bar, both ends are junk and sloppy after only 1 year of use. didn't know "rebuilding"was a option!

It is.
RC used a few different ends through the years. Contact their customer service and see what you need.
On mine, it's a factory track bar bushing & ES3096L - a standard Jeep part that is easy to find.

Ignore the well intentioned folks who are advising you go double shear, unless you find one specifically for your lift height. Anything else will probably bind / clunk on your diff cover.

Rusty's sells an adjustable track bar that fits the stock mount up to 5" lift for around $130. They also sell a combo track bar/double shear mount for $190. If you will look on the first pic you can see where I cut the corner of the coil bucket under the mount. This is what I did to run a DS mount on a 3" lift. I went to 4" later so now it does not mater

Yup. Thats the mount that broke on me while cruising down the highway at 70. I know those 31's I had were way too big :rolleyes:

ETA: Whats up with your bumpstop?

Must have been a bad mount. Been running my mount and track bar for two years now. I have put it to the test on some extreme terrain while driving it to and from that terrain. I plan on driving it to Rocktober fest in Disney Ok on Oct. 24 and giving it hell.
Bump Stop: I work on a gravel driveway with only hand tools at my disposal. I did not fully pull axle out to put the new springs in. The BS would not allow me to install the springs while they were installed. I left BS loose in there and planned to put them in the upper bracket, but that ended up being a lost cause after spring was installed. So I just left them in and bolted them to the bottom. Have to pull the springs to take them out and that's not high on my priority list right now.

From the inside of the L to the bolt center it's 5 5/16"... From inside the L to the bottom it's 6 1/2"... I bought the trackbar setup from Core 4x4 Fabrication out of Orem, UT...

Yup. Thats the mount that broke on me while cruising down the highway at 70.
I'm gonna take a wild guess that it broke at the weld line.

I cobbed together some used parts (RE 1600) and scrap metal to create something similar to the Kevin's Off Road set up, and chronicled my adventure. About a year ago, somebody PMd me about my set up. He eventually found a mount that let him set up an adjustable track bar with a mount that would accommodate a budget boost.

Keep searching, that double shear mount is out there.

I have that rustys trackbar and mount. PO had put it on and I've never gotten around to replacing it. The funny thing is I've got a TNT trackbar (for OTK whenever I get around to it) and a Clayton trackbar sitting in my garage that I've won a different raffles.

I can't use the tnt setup yet since I haven't done the OTK steering. I could use the mount since it's a 2" width and the rustys is something funky and smaller. The clayton is meant to drop into place now but the frame side joint is a full size (2.63") johnny. I need to find a 2" johnny or heim with a 1" shank for it. Anybody know of one?

Back