• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ D30 question

JEEPERDK

NAXJA Forum User
okay, so I have a deal staring me in the face and im extremely temped to jump on it. a friend of mine is parting out his 94 YJ with a D30 and D35 axles. it had a 2.4 or 2.5L straight 4 motor in it with the 5 speed for that year (not sure if it was a ax15 or not) I have the chance to pull the 4.10 gears and carrier out of this d30 to put into my my XJ which is sitting on 4.5" lift with 3.55 gears on a set of 33s. I have the 4.0L HO with a AW4 auto d30 LP front and a 8.25 29 spline in the rear. I have a rebuilt 29 spline possi going in the rear.

so my question, is there any know difference between the cases for the 2 d30s? Im wondering if these 4.10 gears from the 94 YJ (if they are in good condition) will just simply drop right into my D30 that's in my 01 XJ. the front axle was replace in my XJ but a d30 from another 00-01 XJ was put in as replacement. these gears will be virtually free to me. so im very tempted to do a gear swap while im in the rear putting the possi in.

thanks for any and all info I receive :cheers:

IIRC, the '94 YJ used a High Pinion D30.

If that's a fact, then the gears won't work in your '01's D30 because the '01 D30's were Low Pinion.

The difference is the way the gears are cut. The Carrier will work fine in either axle.

-Ron

Iirc all YJ housings are disconnect. Which is going to make running Xj CA brackets impossible

Iirc all YJ housings are disconnect. Which is going to make running Xj CA brackets impossible

I would guess that the axle in the YJ is basically the same as the Renix-era disco axle, with exception of leaf vs coil brackets. If so, then there is no reason that the disco axle will not work in an XJ. Also, can be converted to use the 1-piece shafts from the non-disco.

im not really wanting to try and do a full swap as in making mounts and all. im going to look at the thing tonight so I will report back once I ger the chance to check everything out.

I would guess that the axle in the YJ is basically the same as the Renix-era disco axle, with exception of leaf vs coil brackets. If so, then there is no reason that the disco axle will not work in an XJ. Also, can be converted to use the 1-piece shafts from the non-disco.

Enjoy welding the passenger side upper UCA to the casting for the disconnect

Rockclimber is correct. The pass side disco casting for the YJ and XJ are different. The XJ had the UCA bracket cast in with the Disco casting.

Best bet here is to go to the yard, score a High Pinion D30 out of a XJ, and swap the carrier and gears over. A lot less hassle, cheaper money wise.

If you stay away from the XJ Disco axle, you can enjoy the larger U-Joints without conversion.

-Ron

Back