• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 lock out in part time 4wd?

Xhavier_5478

NAXJA Forum User
So I am working on a 1992 with an AW4 and Np242 TC and because I haven't adjusted the shifter linkage it is stuck in 4wd Part time, there is no front drive shaft in the vehicle so I haven't worried too much about it, but driving it around the block it will not shift into overdrive and i'm up around 3500 rpm at 40 miles an hour, the question is does the TCM lockout higher gears in Part Time?

Hmmm, then I need to move onto the next diagnosis step, the response from Park to Drive is fine, well within the 1.5 sec range, and starting out in Drive I can feel it shift but by the time it gets to 25mph it will just continue to go up in RPM's.

I have topped the fluid off with the proper Dex/Merc III. I haven't checked the fuse under the lower dash panel yet.

IF you pull the lower dash panel, on the pass side is the TCU and the TCU fuse. If fuse looks good, remove and drive/shift manually (You will not have 2nd gear doing this)

If you're running 3,500 RPM at 40 mph, it sounds to me like you're still in 2nd gear. Doesn't sound like you're even getting to 3rd gear, let alone overdrive (4th).

Unhook the shifter linkage and manually shift ur case into 2wd from under. Why would you not crawl under there when u first noticed the linkage was stuck in 4wd and fix it.

unplug brake light switch and see if it works then, just had the same issue on my 93. turned out the brake switch was bad not allowing the tcu to function properly

change treanny fluid, test and replace if needed solenoids, and replace TPS and also clean all TCU connections. Check the fuse on the TCU as well. Brake light switch could be goofy too.

Yes, 3,500 RPM's at 40 mph sounds like 2nd gear, even with 33's and 4:10 gears, but it doesn't sound like low range. I'm running 33's and 4:56 gears and that combination puts it just a little lower than stock. I'll check tonight and report back.

Unhook the shifter linkage and manually shift ur case into 2wd from under. Why would you not crawl under there when u first noticed the linkage was stuck in 4wd and fix it.

The Jeep is in the middle of a complete rebuild, and just rebuilt the transfer case, I don't care if it's in 4wd right now because the front drive shaft is out of it.

As I promised. I checked my XJ with 33's and 4.56's, just over 2,000 RPM at 40 mph is third gear. So, if you at 3,500 RMP's at 40 mph with 33's and 4.10's, I'm definitely thinking it 2nd gear, not 3rd.

Back