• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP...TPS?? I Searched a LOT!!!

pancake

NAXJA Forum User
So, after searching I am pretty sure my problem is the TPS. I have only had the Jeep a few days, and it was running great. I decided to clean the engine with degreaser (and a hose :() so that it was clean for the tune up I was going to do. I didn't spray the water too hard on anything, but I didn't cover up anything either. So the Jeep ran fine last night when I was cleaning the engine, and on the drive home from my parents' house. Now this morning, there is a problem...

-I started the car, fired right up...but idle was like 1,800rpm!!

-The engine light came on, grrrrrrrr

-I tried letting it warm up, idle got better, but engine would stall frequently

-I tried driving, shifting (auto tranny, 4.0 liter) was horrible. It didn't shift when it needed to, or not at all

-So I drove my primary car to work, but I miss the SUV.

I am going to autozone (I know, not the best...but better than $145) to get a new TPS. I will try replacing it tonight. I have two comments:

1. Is there any adjustment for the TPS on a 1998 Cherokee Sport?

2. Could the problem be anything other than TPS?

Damn...and I was trying to save $$ by not steam cleaning. I'll clean out the throttle body this weekend.

btw, 132k miles. :)

TPS is a good bet -- the seal on the rotating input shaft of that lil'buggar isn't too good about holding out vapors and/or solvents...

... a little deposit on the contacts'll get you right where you are -- should be no adjustment - replace and run - you may wanna get the folks at the store to pull your codes to confirm that you've got something like a P0121, p0122, or p0123 code for the TPS...

It cold always be something else (like a wet ignition wire...)

same thing happend to me. no gunk for me ever again. mine cost 79 from dealer i haggeld to get that price changed in dealer lot ran fine after that.. good luck

When my TPS starting misbehaving (again) i decided to try to revive it. I drilled a TINY hole in the housing and squirted in some contact cleaner (Radio Shack). Bingo! it worked like new again. I've had to clean it about once a year this way, but it only takes a minute, and saves me the cash!

Fixed!!!!!

Well folks...

I bought a new TPS from Autozone and popped it in last night. The engine ran ok, but idle was really low. I decided to cycle the engine (on / off) a few times to try and reset the computer, and then it ran perfect. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be more careful in the future...this is my first American car, I guess I should have known better. So far I love this Jeep though.

OUCH. :soapbox: Your XJ is NOT an American 'car'? No, you are driving a JEEP. Welcome to the family.:cheers:

I started off with a YJ... I liked it so much I bought an XJ. I liked that one so much I bought a ZJ. Now I have 3 of the finest vehicals known to man. Be carefull, they are very addictive!

That said, I suffered the same problem. I thought a shiney engine would be nice so I degreased it and ended up replacing the TPS. You'll learn very quickly that the sensors on the XJ are usually the cuprit when it starts to have problems esp. as it ages. They are fine trucks though!

Back