• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replace stock control arms

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
97XJ, 4.0L, 231J, 3" lift, 400K miles.

My stock control arms bushings are worn out and need replacement.
As I'm probably not going to lift this Jeep any more than it is, I'll just go with stock replacement control arms upper and lower.

I found a MOOG brand that I can get the whole set of 4 for about 120.00.
Is this a brand that is at least as good as factory?
Anyone have experience good/bad with Moog.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

I put new MOOG arms on mine earlier this summer. They are fine. Don't forget to check the axle bushings. The upper arms only have one bushing. The other "end" is pressed into the axle. If the bushings are shot then the axle may need some coaxing with a come a long or ratchet strap for the bolts to line up. Don't forget that the bolts should not be torqued down until the weight of the vehicle is on the tires.

Not to push them but I have a pair of rough county fixed lowers for 3" lift I could sell. They are new in box. Let me know if interested.

The experts recommend new longer control arms for any lift 3" or taller.
It puts the ft axle back under the frame where it is suppose to be from factory.
I use the Rusty's Off-Road Products fixed length uppers & lowers. They run around $240 for all four.
Lowers are made from 2" DOM and mandrel bent for more articulation over strait arms.
Uppers are 1.25 DOM. All with rubber bushings. These things are tough.

Last edited:
At 3" of lift, longer lower control arms are recommended, but not required. Stock or stock length upper control arms will be just fine. I have used Moog parts and they are good parts.

Just bought the "package" deal at Iron Rock Offroad for the adjustable uppers and lowers for $340 shipped? Haven't installed yet but I thought that was fair for all four adjustable arms that are more than beefy enough. Basic rubber bushings, nothing fancy. I have about 4" lift up front running the RE 3.5 lift.

OP - You can also replace the bushings in your stock arms if you are trying to save coin.

Back