• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango steering box, pitman arm upgrade question.

jhc7399

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock 99 XJ. Going to do the Durango steering box upgrade this weekend. I bought the Durango steering box & pitman arm, stock xj ps pump & lines, c-rok spacer and frame brace. This Durango pitman arm looks huge? Should I have bought the Durango pitman arm or xj pitman arm? Will it bolt right into my stock front end or will I have to change anything else?

I would just use your stock pitman arm.

Be warned, pulling the pitman arm off your stock box is probably going to be a serious pain. Make sure you have a heavy duty puller (I broke one before getting a beefier one), soak it in PB as much as possible, and take it off while the steering box is still mounted in the vehicle.

Also, make sure you tie your steering wheel such that it can't turn before you disconnect the steering linkage. If it spins freely you can pop your clockspring.

They are right:
XJ pitman arm

Old arm may be difficult if you are removing it

Keep your steering wheel stable - free spinning it is bad. Unless you like your horn and all steering controls not to work and your airbag light on. :us:

They are right:
XJ pitman arm

Old arm may be difficult if you are removing it

Keep your steering wheel stable - free spinning it is bad. Unless you like your horn and all steering controls not to work and your airbag light on. :us:

This is good to know, I didn't even know that was an issue. I'm pulling my pitman arm in a few weeks for a wj swap to weld in an insert. Glad to know I can prevent bad juju.

Back