• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some backspacing help...

CarbonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
It's time for new shoes for the DD, and I'm going to kick it up a notch. Currently I'm running 235/75-15s (stock rims) with 2.5" lift and I'm moving up to 16x8s. Tire size will be 255/70-16 (30.5x10-16 approx) and the "recommended" backspacing by my shop is 4.75" (with +10mm offset) Now that's only 1/2" less than stock. I was thinking I'd need somewhere in the 4-4.5" range for backspacing. Fenders are not trimmed (barely actually), and i'm using stock lower control arms until I get some RE fixed lowers this winter.

Can i get away with 4.75" of backspacing? Or do I need more? I want the tires to sit flush with my stock flares, maybe a little farther out. And will it rub? This is the pavement pounder, with only a few wheeling trips. I do play hard though. Thanks for any help and tips.

If you want them to sit flush with the flares I'd go with ~4.5" BS.

I run 31's on a 3" lift with stock Ravine wheels and don't have a rubbing issue but I did have to add bumpstops. Riding on the road was no issue.

Also, scrub radius starts to become an issue once you get out to around 3.5" of BS.

This is my Jeep with 5.5" BS with 31x10.50-15's and 3" lift.

20140606_113711_zpsd7488563.jpg

35's and 4.5" backspacing. This worked really well.

JohnBull182.jpg

35's and 4" backspacing. A little more stance but it could earn you a ticket in a lot of states.

dsc02173.jpg

I'm rolling on 2.5" bs. I don't even know if Texas has flare laws but I've never gotten in trouble.

I always liked 3.75".

Awesome guys, thank you. I think I'll go with the 4", no more than 4.5" if I can't get the rim in that specific spacing. Thanks for the quick replies and help!

Back