• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88's and 33's?

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
I'm looking for a way to stay in fourwheeling and xj's in particular. Current junk is too big to be used as third car, but I've got a bunch invested in the axles. Thinking maybe starting over, something cleaner, and smaller (currently on 35's) for possible DD and trail duty. I'm thinking 3.5-4.5", long arms and 33's. Question is should I consider holding the current axles w/4.88's and full case rear detroit? Or is that too low for a street drive XJ? My prior XJ never got regeared because of cost... and wound up getting 12-13 mpg with 32's on the street... Can't have that for a daily driver. Did I mention money is tight?:scared:
Thanks for the advice!

If money is tight it would be cheaper to use the 4.88's. I ran tht combo for a long time. Loved it. For a dd the would see a lot of freeway you might not like it. Some feel that 2500rpm at 65 is too much. I didn't. I say do it

4.56s and 35s seems to be getting 15-18 depending on the fuel

My love for 4.88's and 33's on the trail made me tolerate it on the road. I didn't mind it at all really. I never ran it at 70+ though...

I miss the days of 4.88s and 33s. It was awesome. On road and off road. Some day, I will go back...

I ran 4:88s with 33s for a little while. Hated it as my daily driver. Screamed on the highway. My 35s with 4:88s aren't much better though. I'm at 2600 @ 65mph. I prefer 4:56 with 35s and 4:10 with 33s on a daily driver.

4.88's and 33's on the street is awesome. On the hwy, its very debatable.
It all boils down to how much highway driving you do, and at what speed.
I loved driving my cherokee everyday with 80% city, and 20% hwy driving.
I could set the cruise at 75mph and have a realistic average of 15 mpg.
Once my job forced me to commute 100-130 miles a day, I was having the same dilemma.
Financially, it was smarter for me to buy a vw tdi to drive.
I love that car so much now, I took the jeep off insurance and tow it to the trails with the 7.3 super duty.

Back