• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd shifter detent issues after tranny swap.

highbeam

NAXJA Forum User
Well I finished swapping in a new to me aw4 in my 99 xj. This is not the tv cable I'm talking about the actual shifter cable.

Problem is I can adjust the shifter cable but I can't seem to get it to match the markings on the shifter and the detents on the transmission. I've got all my gear positions in the transmission and even shifting the gear shift I have them all just not indicated in the right places. For the life of me I can't get the detents to match up. If I have park easily I can't shift into 1/2 and if I have 1/2 I can't shift into park at least I can physically have the transmission do it but the shifter won't. The red indicator just won't match up. I find my shifts are on the edges of the detents on the shifter. I've been searching online but all I find are people who can't find the adjuster.

Anyone else had this problem or found a solution?

It was a 99 transmission into a 99 as far as I am aware. Could have been 2000 or 2001 though but nothing older as the sensors would have differed enough to not allow it to plug in properly. I have that same sorta feeling. I could always grab the old one and compare. Considering the nut snapped off the shaft holding it on the old transmission I'd like to avoid taking off the new one unnecessarily.

Seems to me that there is an adjustment "tab" on the shift cable, right where the cable attaches to the tranny. Lift it up, put a 4mm spacer at the rear of the shifter (not the bezel, but the actual metal slot)...that should be 1-2. Then pop the adjuster back down into place. After that all the detentes should line up.

I'm well acquainted with the adjustment on the cable by the transmission. I haven't taken apart my console to see if I can do anything to the shifter itself though. I'll have a look at it sometime this week.

Back