• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"87" 4.0 Intermittent stalling

hairball440

NAXJA Forum User
My 87 4.OL XJ Starts & runs for 30 mins.Then stalls for an hour or so.Starts back up,like nothin' happened.New MSD coil,Fuel filter Crank sensor Gas cap.Distributor ,rotor, cap,The fuel pump is running Plenty of juice,No fire.Has anybody had something heat up,stall.Cool off,and run again ?

Check your grounds, especially the strap that goes from the bulkhead to the rear of cyl head.
Also, your C101 connector probably could use a good cleaning.
Also, check your ASD relay and the wires there.

After new O2 sensor,i watched the oil pressure gauge slowly drop.After the dreaded 38 mins,the pressure read 0 and the engine stalled.I thought "cam bearings" but realized NO it's the "oil pressure safety sender switch". After all this time,it was an obvious $13.oo part.

I'm wondering if he bumped some other wires while installing the oil sender.

Kind of sounds like a yellow wire issue. That yellow wire is power hot, with key in run and start. It supplies power to the coil, alternator (I think), various relays and some of the gauges (oil gauge for one).

I had issues with this circuit once, EcoMike lead me down the right path. The brown wire at my ignition switch connector was cooking and melting the connector, the yellow wire circuit was part of the meltdown.

Anything is possible in my experience, some things more likely than others.

I had a fuel pump circuit doing what he describes, a connector pin was making bad contact, it would heat up and the pin would flex and the pump would stop, when it cooled back down again it would work.

Double thinking this, the ignition switch seems unlikely or the fuel pump wouldn't work. More likely to be something farther down the yellow wire circuit, maybe near the ignition module and very near the oil sender, Maybe a bad splice or a wire metal fatigued under the insulation from vibration (which can be a beatch to find).

Two yellow wires going to the ignition module, the larger of the two is the power (yellow) wire. But his oil gauge problem leads me back to something under the dash, same yellow wire circuit supplies power to some of the gauges.

I must have spent a thousand hours troubleshooting Renix wiring and I'm actually pretty good at it. I learned how to troubleshoot wiring on M-60 main battle tanks (miles of wire) and UH 1 helicopters. I find Renix to be more difficult than tanks :) not as bad as Helicopters. About the time you think you have seen it all, something new pops up.

Last edited:
I had a similar situation with my 87 stalling and then restarting after a half-hour to hour. Turned out to be the fuel sending unit. Don't know what was wrong with it, but when the mechanic replaced it, problem disappeared.

Back