• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken dashboard screw holes

2T2-Crash

NAXJA Forum User
For some reason all of the screw holes on the right side of my dash are broken, leaving my lower das just hanging on the passenger side. Anyone have a fix for this?

It might help if you said what year.

I've used various methods of dealing with this. Clip nuts are the best solution, but the plastic can be relatively thick in places and it may be hard to find a clip that fits.

Many times when the threads into the plastic are just stripped and the plastic not split or destroyed, you can coat the screw with Lithium grease or even car wax and then fill the stripped hole with super glue or epoxy. Lightly screw the screw into the glue, clamp and let it dry, you then have usable threads. Coating anything you don't want glued with grease (carefully) is a good thing to remember, it can come in really handy.

I used longer screws. On the '88-'96 models. the lower dash screws (most) simply connect into plastic. The plastic tends to break off over time but by using longer screws, you can get a good connection. I simply went to the local junkyard and pulled some screws from the cover that runs below the doors. These are a couple of inches long and are self tapping so they dig right into the plastic and create a firm connection.

HTH
Todd

I used longer screws. On the '88-'96 models. the lower dash screws (most) simply connect into plastic. The plastic tends to break off over time but by using longer screws, you can get a good connection. I simply went to the local junkyard and pulled some screws from the cover that runs below the doors. These are a couple of inches long and are self tapping so they dig right into the plastic and create a firm connection.

HTH
Todd

good point. the plastic in mine broke, why they had metal screw holes on the driver's side and plastic on the passenger's is beyond me.

Back