• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC cycling switch.

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I am trying to get to the wires to troubleshoot it but cannot for the life of me able to trace them. In all the online research I have done refer to the combination high/low switch on the drier as the cycling switch. In the manual, this cycling switch is inserted into the evaporator coil housing. I could just touch the wires disappearing behind the glove compartment but not enough there to work with neither is there a connector that I can disconnect to do testing.

Where in the XJ do these 3 wires go that would allow me access?

What are you trying to do exactly? The hi-low switch its a pressure cutout switch. So if the low side pressure is too high it wont allow the compressor to kick on and if its too low it will also prevent the compressor from kicking on. The way the system cycles is it runs the compressor till the low side drops enough to trip the low side pressure switch, that's why they call it a cycle switch.

What are you trying to do exactly? The hi-low switch its a pressure cutout switch. So if the low side pressure is too high it wont allow the compressor to kick on and if its too low it will also prevent the compressor from kicking on. The way the system cycles is it runs the compressor till the low side drops enough to trip the low side pressure switch, that's why they call it a cycle switch.

Yes, this is what I read on most comments listed on different forums. However, the work shop manual for the 1996 XJ show a separate switch referred to as the "AC Cycling Switch". This switch have three wires. One wire is ground, one is positive from the AC/Heater control switch which is positive and the other wire go to the AC Low/High pressure switch on the Filter/Drier. In addition,, the Filter/Drier have a second wire that go to the PCM connector 165 position 22.

I am trying to test the ground wire on the AC cycling switch but cannot for the life of me get to the wires. This switch is described as having a 'thermistor' probe inserted into the evaporator module. It is also know as 'Fin Sensing Cycling Clutch Switch' and signals the PCM to control the on/off of the compressor clutch.

I guess the 1996 XJ is truly the "red headed step child' since it appears no one have heard of the switch located behind the passenger knee blocker.

Now, if only I can access those wires with an OHM meter,....

Back